Webmail account closed by provider - what happens to downloaded messages in Mail?

Reaction score
I have an email address with BT Yahoo which will be closing in September as BT are removing their free email service.

I am happy to move over to using Gmail for my primary email, but I am keen to ensure that all the old messages, contacts and drafts are not lost. I've been using my Macbook's Mail program with the BT Yahoo account, so everything I want to keep is currently showing in Mail.

But when the account is closed will I still have access to all these messages? Or is there a risk of them being deleted remotely? If so, what's the best way to back them up and ensure they are accessible?

There are 50,000 messages so too many for Gmail to sync accounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Firstly I would strongly recommend using a free iCloud email account, no need for Google to read your mail is there?

From Mail make a new Mailbox, on your Mac, select the mail on BT Yahoo and drag them into that folder.

Ask a Question