Download folder shuts down

Reaction score
My mac OS X version 10.5.8 won't keep the download file open. It closes itself upon first opening and now th trash folder opens itself too.

Reaction score
You'll have to do a little more than that. There is no Download File.

In your Home Folder you will see your Downloads Folder. Double Click that, what happens?

There should be no Trash Folder. Do you mean the Trash Window? Finder remembers the last open Windows, could it be that?

Reaction score
In finder there is a download folder which when double clicked opens for a second or two then it shuts down or closes itself. The Trash bin opens up but it is empty.

Sorry I am new at this....

Reaction score
I'm still guessing here: In the DOCK there is a shortcut to the Download Folder which you SINGLE click to open the Downloads Folder in your Home Folder.

Click the small RED dot in the Trash Window and it will close.

Reaction score
Thanks, for trying I will look at it but I am new to trying to pass on the info in proper mac terms, not totally new to mac or computers. I do know about the red button which closes my trash bin. When I download a file, I open finder in the dock to retrieve my download, when I open downloads from finder in the dock, it immediately closes itself. And the trash folder opens itself. When I go to finder and click on download folder then to file and click open file it also closes.

Reaction score
ok, I think I see what you're trying to say.

Remove the Downloads Folder from your Dock.
- Click on the Download Folder and immediately drag up, you should see the cursor turn to a cloud, let go and you should see a poof and the Download Folder should be gone.

Now Open your Home Folder
- Click on the Blue Finder Icon at the other end of the Dock.
You should see a Window with Documents, Movies ect.
You should also see a Folder called Downloads
Drag that Downloads Folder down and into the Dock at the same location as the one you just deleted.

Reaction score
Thank you I am an old P-user and I forget that old handy click and drag, the basics of mac. You were close to what I was trying to tell you, detailed communication is not my forte! I did drag the download folder quickly before it closed itself in the finder , home folder, now it is in the dock and does work for me. Thanks again!

Ask a Question