SOLVED Docx to PDF with Automator

Reaction score
hello everyone,
I'm a teacher. In my job I am constantly converting docx to pdf so I can send them to my students or print them.

I realized this could be done a lot faster using automator. This could save a lot of time !!!

I've tried to follow the instruction on this website : https://jacobsalmela.com/2016/03/12/convert-docx-to-pdf-natively-with-a-right-click/. Unfortunately, it didn't work, the PDF were 0 octets in size.

I am a novice using automator and I would like to know if someone could help please :)

I am on MacOS 11.5 (Big Sur) and I am using office 2019.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hello Cory Cooper,
Thanks a lot for your answer. You're right I can use the built-in tool in Word. It's actually what I am doing.

I have to convert up to about 80 docx to PDF a day (sometimes dozens of them at the same time) and I usually have no internet.

Knowing that there used to exist a way to batch it almost immediately with automator (through quick action) instead of... opening the file... click on file... save as... change the format... select the location... click on save.... for each of them, would mean a great deal to me.

Maybe with office 2019 it never will be possible, I am unfortunately not able to tell.

If you have any advice, I would take it !

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe the attached Automator Workflow will work.
  • Download it, double-click to unzip it, then double-click it and click Install.
  • Then, select a Word doc, right-click it, click Services in the contextual menu, then click Word to PDF.
I can't test it, as I don't use any Microsoft or Adobe products on my personal Macs. ;)

C

Attachments

• Word to PDF.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 2,842
Reaction score
I just converted 10 docx to PDF in 10 seconds instead of 3 minutes! and the result is just perfect. My job will be a lot easier.

You are a genius. Thanks a lot this is just great!

:cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wow...was hoping it would work.

I found an old AppleScript in a Google search and followed the steps to make the Automator action. That's only the second or third one I have ever made! ;)

Glad it works for you...be well.

C

Reaction score
Wow...was hoping it would work.

I found an old AppleScript in a Google search and followed the steps to make the Automator action. That's only the second or third one I have ever made! ;)

Glad it works for you...be well.

C
Almost always a lurker on forums, but this solution was so helpful I wanted to say thank you. Much appreciated!!! Searched forever for this.

Reaction score
Hi,

• Download it, double-click to unzip it, then double-click it and click Install.
  • Then, select a Word doc, right-click it, click Services in the contextual menu, then click Word to PDF.
I can't test it, as I don't use any Microsoft or Adobe products on my personal Macs. ;)

C

Hi, thank you for the script, it works great. I am a new Mac user and the only thing I miss from Windows is the PDFCreator program with which I created from several Word files to PDF ones with the option to be protected from copying and printing.
Can you show me how to change the script besides creating pdf to do it read-only?

Reaction score
Hi,

C

Hi Cory

Your code has worked wonderfully on the Mac so far.

Lately, I've been storing my files on iCloud Drive (which also stores the data locally on the Mac).

When I try to apply your automation to these files (which are stored in the user library), they only open in Microsoft Word, but do not convert to PDF.

Can you please adjust the code so that I can convert Word files that are stored locally via iCloud Drive?

Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Because the files in your User Library > Mobile Documents folder are what are used for syncing to iCloud, it may not work.

Have you tried running the Automator Workflow in a Finder sidebar > iCloud > iCloud Drive window instead?

C

Reaction score
Hi, is there any way to make this Quick Action only show for Microsoft Word files? It seems to show up for all file types. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Cory Cooper,

Thanks a lot for the Automator Workflow. It works very well.
I would like to know if it's possible to save files always on my desktop ?

John

Reaction score
Corey! Thank you so much - do you have a link to that apple script you found in google?

Reaction score
Hi,

C
Hello Cory, Thank you so much for the download. Works wonderfully in 2023 with my up-to-date MAC. Again, thank you,
Noel

Reaction score
Hi,

C

I found your post and attachment by chance after vowing never to use Adobe Acrobat/PDF software ever again if I could avoid so doing and just wanted to thank you for posting that Automator action, which has just saved me loads of time — and from going mad.

Prosper Keating — France

Ask a Question