Disk Utility

Reaction score
i updated to 10.11.2 and disk utility changed

i use a picture slideshow for hours on my computer that has tens of thousands of pics on it all the time. my computer gets slow everyday and i have to restart and i repaired permissions with disk utility but now repair permissions isnt there

is there an alternative to repair permissions from disk utility that is gonna actually help my computer from being slow

Reaction score
You can download the excellent freeware program Onyx, available at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Make sure you download Version 3.1.2, as that is the most recent (non-beta) El Capitan version available. It has Repair Permissions as one of its useful tasks. I actually have been using it for a long, long time, and I depend upon it as part of my arsenal of Disk cleanup/maintenance/repair products. For me, I always run the Repair Permissions feature at least twice, to get all the permissions repaired. I have bene using the El Capitan version ever since OS 10.11.1 came out (and now with OS 10.11.2), and as expected, it works real well.

I don't know, though, if that will be enough to help alleviate slowness. If you are making backups to an external device (hopefully you are, and preferably with a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner), and assuming you do not have any other, more robust disk maintenance/repair program like either TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior, you can boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition and run Disk Utility from there to 1) Verify and Repair your internal disk at the Volume (ie, top), level, and 2) Verify and Repair your internal disk at the Partition (ie, second), level.

This link explains how to boot to that Recovery HD partition, and what is on it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Good luck!

Reaction score
i downloaded it and ran it 4 times, my computer still gets stuck while the slideshow is on. it kept going everytime after i repaired permissions with disk utility without a second it stopped, but not onyx

Reaction score
Then there must be something else wrong with your internal hard drive, either a software issue, hardware issue (seems unlikely), or both (again, seems unlikely).

Are you making any backups?

Reaction score
ive always had old computers, its always been this way. i had a good new one for a couple weeks it was some better but i had to get a new older rite away it broke

i think its just because its older

Reaction score
Well, if you are not making backups, unless you want to take a risk, there is really nothing you can do to improve the speed of your machine.

Reaction score
no i think youre being stupid, i dont need a backup, just to speedup my comp just as onyx does for you

Reaction score
no i think youre being stupid, i dont need a backup, just to speedup my comp just as onyx does for you

Hmm, I did not say anything about anyone being "stupid". That's kind of a narrow minded statement, especially since I am trying to help with your issue. To speed up your machine will take some disk maintenance/repairs, and thus that is why a backup is so critical!

As I stated above, Onyx is just part of my arsenal of products I use to keep my Macs "lean and clean". There is also some manual stuff I do. As always, it is up to each individual user how they want to take care of their machines.

Last edited:
Reaction score
a backup, a copy of my hard drive just sits there and has nothing to with the performance of the hard drive im using

Reaction score
a backup, a copy of my hard drive just sits there and has nothing to with the performance of the hard drive im using

That is not what I said above! By having a backup on an external drive, you can boot to the Recovery HD partition on your internal drive and run Disk Utility to do any needed repairs to your internal drive. If something goes wrong with that process, you can get back to where you were, as you have an external backup.

Remember, you'd like to see the performance of your machine increase/get better. Since Onyx did not help much (if anything with that, although there are a number of other useful tasks Onyx can perform), the next step would be to try and Verify and Repair the internal drive. That is what I stated in my first post above, regarding the Recovery HD partition.

It's up to you whether or not you want to try it. I am just trying to offer assistance.

Reaction score
is there anyone else here

i just want a simple thing like repair permissions that mac has always had to get my computer to go faster after slowing down

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There is no need to say anyone is being stupid or is there anyone else here. We do not condone, nor will we tolerate this type of interaction.

This forum is comprised of knowledgeable people who donate their time and advice for free to answer questions and help folks out with their issues. Many of us have been in the Mac support business for a very long time...since the 1980s in my case. Collectively, we can answer most questions and solve most issues. We will try our very best to help in any situation, in a pleasant and friendly manner. We do reserve the right to stop assisting and lock posts, so that conversations do not deteriorate further, which doesn't benefit anyone.

As a member here, everyone is held to the same standard and is expected to act accordingly. If a suggested course of action doesn't fix an issue, is something that is beyond your experience level, or something you have previously tried, then simply let us know. We sometimes ask for more information, to enable us to properly diagnose/troubleshoot issues and provide the best advice on how to correct them. If you choose not to try our suggestions, or disagree with them, then that is your choice.

Since El Capitan, the ability to manually repair disk permissions has been removed by Apple, via the new System Integrity Protection (SIP). Maybe OnyX and other third-party utilities have had their access to permissions partially/fully blocked, and that is why it didn't work in this instance. I read somewhere online that there is a way to repair disk permissions via Terminal, but I believe you may have to disable SIP, which is not recommended.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory for that well stated post!

I have been using Onyx for so long, and the current El Capitan version does have the Repair Permissions feature. (TechTool Pro and Disk Warrior can perform that function also, along with other useful tasks). It seems to work fine, but as you know, I tend to keep my Macs "lean and clean" anyway. Also, Repair Permissions (no matter which Mac OS) does not cure all issues, and thus one needs to do some additional disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks. This is especially true if one is not performing periodic disk maintenance.

Additionally, it seems that some folks expect a "miracle" cure to an issue, and in a few instances, we can provide a simple one step (or a couple of steps) process. But, as you know, in most instances that is not the case, and more "detective" work is necessary.

Last edited:

Ask a Question