Difference between Flash storage and SSD?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to know what's the main difference between Flash storage and SSD start-up disk?
How to check if the Mac has an SSD?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

They are basically the same thing. Early SSDs used RAM chips to store data, but now use flash memory like flash storage does. The real difference these days is an SSD is packaged in a 2.5" drive case, and connected via SATA. Flash storage is on a stick/card, and connected via PCIe. Flash storage is also referred to as PCIe-based SSD.

Flash vs. SSD Storage: Is there a Difference?

You can determine what type of storage your Mac has by going to  > About This Mac > Storage. It should identify which type of internal storage your Mac has, and what any external drives are. More information can be found in  > About This Mac > Overview > System Report...> Storage.

Most of the current Macs use PCIe-based flash storage, sometimes listed as PCIe-based SSD.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
My iMac says SATA Disk. It's a hard drive I guess.
SSDs and Flash aren't Sata?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Most third-party SDs connect via SATA. Apple flash storage connect via PCIe. If it just says SATA, then most likely it is a standard hard drive, especially if it is a standard model iMac and the drive is 1 TB or more. There are also Fusion Drives, which are a hybrid of SSD and standard drive, but it would identify itself as a Fusion Drive if it were.

C

Ask a Question