Did something real stupid

Reaction score
I'm a PC user that inherited a MAC from a friend that died. I need to know how to restore a user account that has been deleted. I knew her password so I created my own account and gave myself admin rights and discovered I mistyped my name. I went to delete my account to start over and I accidently deleted hers instead. (Wasn't paying attention to what was highlighted) When I did it deleted everything on the desktop, programs, files, docs, ect.... Now I need to get it all back.

She has OS 10.4.6.

I haven't shut down the computer yet. (I'm afraid if I do I won't be able to recover anything) And there's nothing in the trash. I tried MAC Help but it wasn't much help.

Is everything a total loss?
Teresa

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

Hopefully if you have stopped using the Mac, then you may be able to recover the files.

You will need a copy of DataRescue ll and an external drive. (And another Mac, ideally !)

It sounds like these files are very important so I would take it to an Apple Store and let them recover them for you.

There is nothing you can do yourself, using the software on the Mac. You will need something like DataRescue.

Tuen the Mac off and don't use it, then there will be more chance for someone to recover the data. They may not be able to 'restore' the user account but they should be able to recover all the files that were in it.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric, Thanks Kyomii,

I've found an Apple store and will be taking it there later this week. I think I will also get a book on operating Macs.

Ric

Reaction score
No problem.

Let us know how you get on, and feel free to ask anymore questions about your new Mac, once you get it back.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question