Desktop

Reaction score
I have a icon pn my desktop that is a duplicate of another program (startup ). I cannot get rid of it. I have a 2015 I Mac running the latest software. Any help out there?

Reaction score
When you say "the latest software", is that Sierra, or High Sierra?

Also, how have you tried to get rid of the icon? And which program is it?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So, it is an icon of your internal drive (or at least one partition on it). Just to confirm, when you double click on it, what does it show? I suspect it will show the "initial" 5 folders (Applications, Library, System, Users, Documents). Most people prefer to have it there, so that one can get easier access to items on the drive.

If you want to get rid of it, in the Finder, click on the "Finder" heading (just to the right of the Black Apple one). Then, select Preferences. You will see a "list" of devices, along with a "box" to the left on each one. Assuming High Sierra is like Sierra (hat is the OS I am using), the first one on the list is "Hard Disks". Myself, I have it checked, but if you don't want on your desktop, then uncheck it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So, it is an icon of your internal drive (or at least one partition on it). Just to confirm, when you double click on it, what does it show? I suspect it will show the "initial" 5 folders (Applications, Library, System, Users, Documents). Most people prefer to have it there, so that one can get easier access to items on the drive.

If you want to get rid of it, in the Finder, click on the "Finder" heading (just to the right of the Black Apple one). Then, select Preferences. You will see a "list" of devices, along with a "box" to the left on each one. Assuming High Sierra is like Sierra (hat is the OS I am using), the first one on the list is "Hard Disks". Myself, I have it checked, but if you don't want on your desktop, then uncheck it.

Reaction score
You're welcome. I am actually surprised that High Sierra has that set already to have the icon for Hard Drives to be visible on the desktop. For both El Capitan and Sierra, the opposite was true.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I am actually surprised that High Sierra has that set already to have the icon for Hard Drives to be visible on the desktop.
Actually, High Sierra doesn't have that as the default. Not sure why it was set that way in this instance. Good he's all set.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory, for that clarification. I actually thought that was the case, but I spoke too soon. Wonder what can cause that, besides manually setting it?

Ask a Question