Desktop Behavior

Reaction score
How do I set up my desktop so that icons can be moved around on the desktop. I can't move anything.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

First off, what version of Mac OS X? Shouldn't matter, just in case the directions below aren't the same.

You can set the Desktop to arrange icons manually using View Options in Finder.

1. From the menu bar in Finder, click on View.
2. Click on Show View Options.
3. A window labeled Desktop should open, if it is labeled something else, click on the Desktop once.
4. At the bottom under Arrange by: select None for infinite arrangement, or Snap to Grid for manual arrangement aligned with grid spacing.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

First off, what version of Mac OS X? Shouldn't matter, just in case the directions below aren't the same.

You can set the Desktop to arrange icons manually using View Options in Finder.

1. From the menu bar in Finder, click on View.
2. Click on Show View Options.
3. A window labeled Desktop should open, if it is labeled something else, click on the Desktop once.
4. At the bottom under Arrange by: select None for infinite arrangement, or Snap to Grid for manual arrangement aligned with grid spacing.

C
Thanks... 10.6.8 on early McBook Pro. Have done this. Have tried all Desktop settings in View Options. Icons still snap back to original positions when I try to move them. Restart computer but Nothing...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Have you tried deleting the Desktop preferences plist file and restarting?

Macintosh HD > Users > youruser > Library > Preferences > com.apple.desktop.plist

Try that and let me know if it "sticks."

C

Reaction score
Have you tried deleting the Desktop preferences plist file and restarting?

Macintosh HD > Users > youruser > Library > Preferences > com.apple.desktop.plist

Try that and let me know if it "sticks."

C
Thanks, Cory. Deleted plist. (I know it changed the Desktop because the background changed!) BUT, the icons still snap back to their positions. Again tried all settings in View Options with no luck. Icons still immovable...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

Try deleting com.apple.finder.plist in the same location. Also, you could try repairing disk permissions first using Disk Utility, then deleting the plist file.

C

Reaction score
Repaired disk permissions - Restarted - tried all options in View - NO GO - Deleted Finder plist in Library Prefs - restarted - Tried all options - Still no workie. A little vexing...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm..it is vexing! ;)

You could try this:

-Open Terminal app
-At prompt type cd Desktop then press Return key
-At next prompt type rm .DS_Store then press Return key
-Delete both of the files you deleted in our previous steps, then restart

C

Reaction score
Hello,
you can also try control/clicking on the Desktop, clicking on show view options then selecting arrange by "none".

Ask a Question