Desk top publishing recommendations?

Reaction score
I have been nominated to edit a small hard copy newsletter.
Please will you recommend a suitable software program so that I can lay out the newsletter in a professional way. The previous editor used a PC (ugh)!

I have photoshop elements and adobe on my mac but I don't think they will do the job. I've had a look around on the net but there are so many to choose from, I'd prefer something that somebody knows will work! Also, not too complicated!

I live in a remote area but will be visiting Perth (Western Australia) at the end of the month and will make my purchase then.

Eleanor:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Eleanor,

When you say a small hard copy newsletter, are you talking about a one-page or two-page document? When I was editor of my outdoors club, I used to do our newsletter in MS Word. I used photos, graphics, columns, banners, etc. Pages (part of iWork) is also another simple option. There are also more robust options. I'm certain someone here will offer other choices.

Reaction score
Hi Egidio

Thanks for your reply. The newsletter is usually around 8 A4 pages (so that would be 2 A3 folded and stapled). The layout is fairly simple; the previous editor boxed some of the content - which is simple enough on MS word - and there are a few columns (would have to use tables for those?). I had a look on the web and found software called Swift Publisher http://www.belightsoft.com/products/swiftpublisher/overview.php
which looks quite useful. I'd be grateful if you would have a look and tell me what you think.

I'd like to lift the game in the newsletter which depends, at the moment, on changing fonts and those little drawings - can't remember what they are called at the moment but everyone uses them!

BTW it is for a Yoga association.

Eleanor

Reaction score
Hi Elanor

I create a newsletter for my company and use QuarkXpress which is excellent. I taught myself how to use it and discover new things all the time. You can download a manual from the Quark website.
Good luck and enjoy
Zoe

Reaction score
Hi Zoe

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that QuarkXpress may be the way to go - there seem to be heaps of tutorials offered and lots of good stuff. I'm not sure of the availability in Australia but will make more enquiries - the online shop says 'not in my region' but I guess I can overcome that!!

Thanks again

Eleanor

Reaction score
Hi Dashford

Thanks for your recommendation of In Design. I'm flabbergasted at the prices - AUD1,245 before shipping. The QuarkExpress is even dearer! :eek:

Thanks also for the article comparing the 2 programs. I guess I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons and have a look at my bank balance - I doubt the yoga association will come up with the full cost!

Mmmm ... something to ponder.

Eleanor

Reaction score
Hello again Kyomii

I knew about Pages but didn't know it did all those things! I've actually got it on this computer but haven't purchased it yet. I had a look at it some time ago apropos of something completely different. I think the price is excellent - more than a thousand dollars cheaper! :p

Mac-help.com is a fantastic website and I don't know why I've never found it before!

Once I figure out what the heck I'm doing I'll be in touch via the forum!

Thank you everyone for your amazing generosity and time.

Eleanor

Reaction score
Eleanor, make sure the one on your system is the up to date version - that is iWork 08 as there is no point purchasing an earlier version for the same price ;)

Pleased to hear you like the site :D

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii

I nearly missed that! The one on my computer is iWork 6 - so a bit out of date.

I've bookmarked mac-help on the toolbar (Firefox).

Peace

Eleanor

Ask a Question