Deleted Partition after running Bootcamp

Reaction score
I recently ran bootcamp on my 2015 MacBook Pro and after successfully returning to my IOS I deleted the windows partition in the utility application. I also was running a beta version of Big Sur on my machine, and it won't let me update the computer now. I figured I could just run an update but I get a message that the "installer application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS". So I'm not sure what I can do to actually update to the actual Big Sur release, and fixing the deleting the partition thing. Do I have to totally wipe my computer and reboot everything? I also saw that when I restart my computer I think it starts in recovery mode and I have to hold the option key to manually select IOS for my usage. Which it works fine when I do log onto my profile but I know that I can't update the computer at all and I'd like to fix that. I appreciate anyone's help with this situation!

Reaction score
First of all, what do you mean by "returning to my IOS"? IOS does not run on Macs.

Secondly, have you been making backups to an external device? If (hopefully) so, what software did you use?

Third, what Mac OS were you using before Big Sur?

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant OS, and I originally had Catalina, and then put a Big Sur beta on before it officially released from beta profiles. And no, I haven’t really done anything but used my computer to study for things. I do intend to do a backup on an external device here within the next 5 hours my time. I’ll most likely use time machine.

But a couple days ago launched bootcamp and I stupidly went back to my original mac OS and went into utility (I obviously made a mistake I should have informed myself more) and deleted the windows partition and quickly realized it was a mistake. The mac boots up in recovery and i can get to my profile and everything and log in, but i can’t update the OS to actual Big Sur. I’m not sure what to do. I’m wondering if doing a back up will be effective after deleting that, but I’m just obviously not the most knowledgeable and should read before doing things.

Reaction score
Did you use Disk utility to remove the Boot Camp partition rather than the Boot Camp assistant?

Reaction score
I can try that. I wish I would have tried to put Big Sur on before deleting the partition, because I don't know if I would have gotten the same message as I am now. I most likely will just have to do a back up and restore.

Reaction score
It might be best if you go back to Catalina. Big Sur still has issues. And in fact, a new version, V11.1, will be released soon. On two other Mac discussion sites I visit, a number of folks are having various issues with Big Sur. In fact, one of the sites has a thread entitled "Any of you regret updating from Catalina?", and quite a few folks there say yes, they do.

Big Sur, at least for me, is not stable enough yet. I'll continue to use Catalina until it is (and of course when all my third party applications are compatible with it).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay, aside of my computer restarting in recovery mode, everything else I’m using on beta profiles beta version of big sur is working fine. But I would like to return to an official OS so that may be my best bet.

Reaction score
Given that you do not have a backup prior to installing Big Sur, I actually do not know how to get back to Catalina.

From what I understand, via the Recovery partition, you can 1) Erase and Format your internal device, and 2) download and install the latest version of the OS to which that Recovery partition "belongs to". I suspect that is Big Sur, but your situation is somewhat confusing. Let me ask a couple of basic questions:

1. When you start up your machine, does it boot directly to the Recovery partition?

2. If #1 is true, can you run any programs, do anything productive, etc.?

3. If #1 is false, I assume then you are running a beta version of Big Sur, right? If you are, what applications do you use?

Reaction score
Yes, it does go directly into recovery mode. I can hold down the option button and choose the Mac OS and go to my desktop normally and do everything I have been doing. So after I figured that out, I essentially am just keeping it charged/sleep mode not really doing anything that would require a restart. And yes, I went to betaprofiles.com and downloaded the Big Sur beta for Mac. It's just that when I try to update the OS to the actual release of Big Sur I get the notification that tells me "This copy of the macOS Big Sur installer application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS." Essentially from what I have read, since I didn't do the original back up going to the beta, I'm probably going to have to restore the computer. I also think that it

I also re downloaded the 64 bit requirement for boot camp but haven't ran it yet to see if that would help with the restarting. I essentially was going to do that, run boot camp, and then try to remove it properly, and maybe think that doing that would help me go back to how things were. I'm not sure if that would work, but luckily, I didn't really have anything on my computer that I was saving or that I can't put on an external hard drive/memory unit. I legit have like 3 documents I can cloud and save or already are saved and other than that, the machine could be restored and I can add them back. I was just looking for an alternate solution to restoring my Mac. But if I have to, then it is what is is.

Reaction score
If you can boot your Mac via Recovery Mode, then you should be able to 1) use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format your internal device (is it a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), or a Solid State Drive (SSD)?), and 2) select Reinstall macOS. This link has a screen shot:

Since you said you do not need anything on the machine, when you select #4, Disk Utility, select the VERY top "name" of your internal device. That should Erase and Format the entire device. Then when you select #2, it should install the latest, non-beta release of the macOS. The unknown issue is what macOS will you get, and again, I suspect that depends upon which macOS the Recovery Partition "belongs" to. In your case, that seems to be the Big Sur beta version. But unsure.

Not sure why you installed the beta version of Big Sur. It is a well known fact that no matter which version of the macOS, the first few non-beta versions contain bugs/issues, and definitely beta versions. The current Intel non-beta version of Big Sur is V11.0.1, but V11.1 will be available shortly.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I installed it out of ignorance to certain facts. I mean I really never had issues with the beta when I put it on the computer, it only started doing that after I deleted that partition after running boot camp. Thats why I said before I wish I would have tried to run an update before I deleted that to see if it would have told me the same thing it does now. I just need to use what apple releases and wait until they put new updates out. I definitely learned some lessons here. But again, I appreciate your help.

Reaction score
You're most welcome.

So, were you able to boot to the Recovery Partition and perform the tasks I mentioned? If so, what Mac OS did you finally arrive at?

Additionally, unless there is something you absolutely need on a new Mac OS, it is always best to wait until a couple of non-beta releases come out before installing it. Things will be much more stable by then. I know I am waiting, as besides the stability factor, there are still 4 critical applications I use which are not yet compatible with Big Sur.

My plan is to download and install V11.2 of Big Sur on a partition I have set up on an external SSD, and do some testing. Once my last critical application, Tech Tool Pro, has an update available (most likely in January), I'll then download and install the latest version of Big Sur on both of my Macs. That is the strategy I have followed for the last few versions of the Mac OS, and it has worked out well.

Reaction score
I meant to do this yesterday, but didn't have time. I re read your message though and looked it up and I've discovered I have an SSD. I plan to execute everything within your message tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Ask a Question