OSX Mojave Partition Deleted after Joining a Domain in Bootcamp

Reaction score
I'm guessing my use case is different from most. I have several Mac Book Pro's that I like because they work really well. I use them for business and do a lot of engineering work which requires Windows software. Recently I installed a package on my Synology NAS called "Directory Server," this a SAMBA implementation of Windows 2008 Active Directory. It works great for my purposes.

I have adopted two MBP's onto the domain and had both of them lose the OSX partition. They still work flawlessly in bootcamp but if you try and reboot to OSX it says that there is no longer an OSX Partition. One of the MBP's was older and I installed bootcamp on it a few years back maybe 2016. The other one I just reformatted this week and installed Mojave and then Windows 10 bootcamp. As soon as I joined the domain yesterday the OSX partition disappeared.

Related to this is there a way to download OSX from a Windows Machine so I can reload the computer with OSX and rebuild it. Alternatively I was wondering what would happen if I used Windows 10 self formatting method. I'm guessing it may be an issue with the drivers if nothing else but wasn't sure.

Thanks in Advance.

John.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, that is an issue I haven't come across. I currently manage about 500 Macs at work that are all joined to AD. Only a few of them have Boot Camp/Windows setup.

I am not sure what the differences are between AD and Synology's Directory Server, as I don't have much experience with Synology other than the standard NAS RAID setups. I would definitely contact their support, as I am sure they may have come across this at some point.

-Are you getting that error when you try to boot into the Startup Manager?
-Can you access the Recovery/Internet Recovery partition?
-Did you install the Boot Camp Windows drivers? Is there a Boot Camp Control Panel in Windows?

Start up your Mac in Windows or macOS with Boot Camp

There isn't any way to download OS X/macOS installers from Windows, as they are only available from the App Store.

C

Ask a Question