Deleted stuff from my Library...oops.

Reaction score
I recently downloaded a third party app "Wine" and "Wine Bottler" to my iMac.

Got cold feet and deleted them along with the files they put in my Library > Preferences. Should have uninstalled the correct way but I didn't.

A) Now when I open a new finder window, there's folders missing from "Favorites" in the sidebar, and it opens to a different location than usual.

B) Also, I use Logic Pro. Normally when I right click the icon, I can see my 10 most recent projects. But this recent list was totally cleared. I may have deleted Library > Preferences > com.apple.recentitems or something??

I use Time Machine. To be safe should I just restore my whole computer from an earlier backup?? (this would mean restoring 1.5TB which is a pain.)

Or is it really just a minor problem? Maybe I can just restore my Library? Despite Apple telling me that wasn't possible because it is a hidden folder, Library is available for a restore in my Time Machine. It will just ask if I want to replace my current Library with the restored one, which is daunting.

Any help would be very appreciated!!
I am not having any trouble currently, all my files are still here. I'm just scared because these two things are different.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-What exactly did you delete in your User > Library > Preferences? Hopefully only items with wine in the name?
-Or, did you delete all the preference (plist) files?

I wouldn't worry about restoring from Time Machine, as preference (plist) files are recreated when you use the related applications. You could cause more issues by restoring the entire Library folder from Time Machine.

-You can add Recents back to Finder windows by clicking: In Finder, click Finder > Preferences... > Sidebar > check Recents in the Favorites section, or any others that are missing
-To change what the default view is for a Finder window: Finder > Preferences... > General > New Finder windows show:

Logic will rebuild the Open Recent file list as you reopen projects.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I must have deleted a few .plist files and I wasn't aware of it.

I just wish there was a way of knowing which ones. Wine's developer doesn't seem sketchy at all (https://winebottler.kronenberg.org) but I just didn't know how to use the program.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, sounds like you may have. There isn't any log of what you delete, nor a standard list of plist files, since everyone has different things installed. I really wouldn't worry about it, as they will be recreated.

Wine and WineBottler have been around for a long time, and they are legit. I never used them, because I have always used Parallels, VMware Fusion, or Boot Camp to run Windows and Windows applications if and when I needed to.

Let us know if you run into any additional issues,

C

Reaction score
How nice that there's someone kind enough on the internet to freely offer their knowledge like this. What a great help. This really puts my mind at rest, I'm very grateful!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...that's why we are here. ;)

Glad it was helpful, and we're here if you need us in the future.

C

Reaction score
Hi as you said you have a backup in your time machine and you are able to restore your favourite’s folder. It mean you are in safe mode. But if the files are missing in time machine backup then it can be a problem.

Ask a Question