dark screen

Reaction score
I realize that a similar problem was a concern a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if my "crisis" is different. My screen
will frequently go dim/dark (I can still read the text if I squint), and freeze so that I can't do anything with the material, i.e., copy or forward. In my case, it occurs only on certain sites, e.g. the New York Times, and while it doesn't interfere with
general running of the computer, it is annoying and it is increasing. Any suggestions before I default to a Mac repair station?
Thanks for your help. Jill

Reaction score
Thank you Kaveman. My laptop isn't displaying any darkening symptoms (yet?). The darkening doesn't seem related to
energy saving, unless, of course, The New York Times is overloading my circuits. And the problem occurred before the
Time's hacking problems

Reaction score
Hi Jill

Could be the backlight itself, possibly inverter or inverter cable failing.:(

Personally would book a GB session at your nearest Apple store as you hint in your first post.
If you do please post back results.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Could be completely off course here goph but do you mean the browser window goes dark or the Mac's screen whether you are online or not?

You mention it only happens at certain websites?

I ask this because I periodically see my browser window go dim with the background still visible but all links etc are not accessible. If this is the case for you just go to a new website that 'works' then in the History, choose the New York Times from the menu and the website should then load properly.

I think this issue (I'm grabbing at straws as to whether it's the same one you are experiencing) has something to do with a Flash glitch but I'm not 100% sure ...

Reaction score
Hi Jill

Could be the backlight itself, possibly inverter or inverter cable failing.:(

Personally would book a GB session at your nearest Apple store as you hint in your first post.
If you do please post back results.

Thanks Oldscribe. I am going to try Spawn D's suggestion first. If it doesn't work
then I'm going to follow your advice and book that appointment.

Ask a Question