Need help with G4/933 PowerMac (Dark screen)

Reaction score
HELP! I have a Powermac G4/933 that won't boot up. When I press the power button, the power on light comes on momentarily and then goes out. However, the CPU fan and I believe the power supply fans begin to run slowly. It sounds like the hard drive or something clicks on. The monitor remains black and nothing else happens. One other strange thing is that when I disconnect the power cord and then plug it back in, the end of the power cord sparks slightly as I'm plugging it back in.

Things I've tried:
- Reading these forums, I bought a new PMU battery from Radio Shack and installed that. No change.
- Tried resetting the PMU by pressing the button and trying to reboot. Nada.
- Did a "logic board reset" by taking out the battery and disconnecting the power cord and letting it sit overnight and then putting the battery back and restarting. Same behavior. I even tried resetting the PMU button after this exercise and no difference.

It would be a shame to trash this machine because it was a good workhorse. Someone hlep!

Ask a Question