SOLVED Customising Sounds in Big Sur

Reaction score
Hey all.
For various reasons I've stuck with OSX Sierra for the last few years. However, I bought a new Macbook Air recently and it's arrived with Big Sur. The transition has been relatively painless (less pain than I thought anyway). However, I am missing my old custom system sounds.
Sierra allowed me to drop .mp3s into the -system/library/sounds folder as long as I disabled System Integrity Protection first using the Recovery System/Utilities/Terminal - "csrutil disable/enable"method. However, despite Terminal telling me SIP will be disabled after a restart, the Sounds folder will not allow me to add another file, even if I unlock the folder, even if I convert the file to aiff.
Can anyone shed any light on the issue? Thanks in advance. Pablo.

Reaction score
In Monterey, and in Big Sur, I presume, custom sounds are located in ~/Library/Sounds and as far as I know, they have to be in .aif format. No need to disable SIP.

Reaction score
Ah. My mistake was trying to put sound files in System/Library/Sounds. I actually needed to create a new Sounds folder in the other ~/Library folder. Then put my custom files (.mp3 of .aiff) in there. Anyway, success!. Thanks both.

Ask a Question