SOLVED Sounds of silence

Reaction score
I have to televisit my doc because of the plague, so I bought a USB webcam for my macmini running High Sierra. It shows as in input in the Sound prefs panel, and tapping or cursing at it registers in input volume, but no sound is output via the headphone port. Other sound sources are working as normal. Where have I failed?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like the mic in the webcam is working. You won't hear the webcam mic in the headphones/speaker to prevent feedback. Make sure you set the output in the Sound preference pane to the headphone port/or internal speaker, whichever you are using.

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought I would have the option of muting my speakers and hearing the output through headphones if so desired. It occurred to me to check it by recording and playing back the audio with Audacity. Works.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Glad it is working for you.

It is common to not have "monitoring" or software playthrough for microphones enabled on computers. When recording, it can cause latency, which makes it difficult to speak when you hear yourself with a delay. It also prevents a feedback loop.

If you connect external speakers or headphones to the audio jack, the internal speaker is disabled.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
I've noticed a slight delay in the video image of what I am actually doing. This is a bit disconcerting. Still, for an inexpensive device, the picture quality is surprisingly good, as is its functioning in low light levels. It will do for video visits with my doc. I won't be starting a YouTube channel of me on my couch anytime soon. Thanks for your comments. There are lots of how-tos on the web, but they often omit the obvious.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

There will be a slight lag, especially with external USB cameras. You will actually notice a smaller lag with the Mac's built-in camera, just not as much. That is normal for both.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question