Create "master" custom "undo" shortcut on Mojave?

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering how to change the "master" undo function shortcut in Mojave from Command Z, if at all possible.

I'll explain what I mean by "master undo function shortcut": when Undo is used in different scenarios the command appears differently in the Menu, as the command relates to the action that is being undone; when undoing text that has been typed, this (in most applications) appears in the menu as "Undo Text", whilst undoing, for example, a new (untitled) event one has created in Mini Calendar, appears as Undo Create "New Event".

Now, when one is creating custom shortcuts in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts tab > App Shortcuts, one must ensure that the menu command matches the new shortcut created in order for the shortcut to work.
This means that, to replace Command Z as the master Undo function shortcut (so that the new shortcut works in every different context in which undo is applied), one would have to create custom shortcuts for every last undo variation possible, (e.g. in the case of the previous Undo variations provided, the shortcuts needed would need to appear as Edit->Undo Text and Edit-> Undo Create "New Event" respectively).
This seems like it would take a heck of a lot of time and effort, to the point of utter impracticality; even just figuring out how many different forms of Undo are available in a given application would be a laborious task indeed!

So, to the question: how do I change all iterations/variations of Undo at once? How do I replace the standard Command Z with a shortcut of my choosing for every different Undo variation, without having to make a hell of a lot of custom shortcuts to address the Undo function in every different context?

I hope I've explained my query clearly enough- if anyone needs more info please ask!

Thanks for your time and effort!

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It is my understanding that there are system-wide keyboard commands, and there isn't any official way to change them, due to them being part of the Finder and macOS System code.

I will look into it a bit further, and let you know if I find anything out.

C

Reaction score
You could possibly write a small Applescript or Automator app to invoke a 'Command+z' and the assign the keypress you want to that app.

Ask a Question