CPU Usage

Reaction score
I run a CPU usage item in my menubar. For some reason today it's keeping at 100% no matter what I'm doing. I've quit everything, removed startup items from my user account and restarted, etc.
When I open Activity Monitor, it shows a kernel_task (process ID 0) running at almost 50%, and it shows WindowServer (process ID 56) running at almost 50%, and these don't seem to change under any conditions. Other background process push it to 100%. I also noticed that my network is running extremely slow, although I guess that might be because no CPU is available.
I'm on a 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz with 1 gig of ram and 10.4.8.
Any ideas on what might be causing this? This one's a mystery to me...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

what does Apples Activity App report ?

Does it concur with the menu bar one you have ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

In Activity Monitor can you view all processes hierarchically and then see what is 'in' the Window Server one...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, I have about 20 gigs of disk space. I couldn't open Activity Monitor for awhile, I guess because not enough resources were left. However, I started up my computer this morning with a new problem, and the CPU issue was gone (as mysteriously as it appeared); except most of my applications would not open including the CrashReporter, which also crashed and asked if I wanted to report its crash, which I couldn't because it kept crashing. I restarted with a clean user account and everything seemed to work fine, so I deleted tons of preference files, and removed all my third party preferance panes, contextural menus, input managers and startup items. Now it seems to work. I guess I'll have to put back the items one-by-one to see what might be causing it. I don't know if this is all related to the CPU issue or not. Crazy.

Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan rpphoto. Let us know if the problem arises again!

Searay

Reaction score
The problem, at least for app launches and some Finder weirdness, turned out to be OSS 3-D, the sound enhancer. Once I removed that, everything worked great again, including no more CPU issues (I suspect that may have been linked to that, as well). Today it was confirmed at MacFixIt: "Users continue to report an issue where the presence of OSS 3D -- a tool used for real-time audio enhancement -- can cause unexpected quits in various applications, including the Finder."
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20061019092559189

Ask a Question