Corrupted HD after force quitting XCode installer

Reaction score
Info: iMac 2009, 20 inch, 8 GB ram, ~300 GB Hard drive

Alright, for an application I needed, it needed the XCode developer tools from apple. I downloaded it, and started installing it. Before it was finished with a step of the installing process, after i was done with the manual input, it told me that i needed to close iTunes, which I had left open. I closed it, but the warning message continued. I tried my best to make it go away and to continue the installation, but it didn't work. So I ended up Force Quitting installer. The warning message stayed after i quit installer also. Then I logged out to remove the message, and logged back in to try and re-install it. It got up to the select the disc part of the installation, and when It finished examining additional disks, it selected the Macintosh HD, and then it immediately crashed. When it booted up, it took about 5 times as long to start up, but even then, it just showed a bunch of random code I didn't understand overlaid the white screen with the apple logo and the spinning gear, and the computer crashed again. It kept on doing the cycle of restarting and crashing until I stopped it. I tried starting up the computer off both of my installation discs, 1.5.6, and 1.7.3 versions, both of them booted succesfully, but on the reinstalling phase it said that Mac OSX cannot be installed on this hard drive. The disc utility said the hard drive was fine. It offered that it would reinstall OSX if the hard drive was erased, but there is information on there I can't lose. Im just wondering if there is something easy I can do at home, or if i need to take it to a professional.

Reaction score
Yes I can! The screen transitions look glitch, youtube completely glitches out, but otherwise, I can boot into Safe Mode.

I tryed reinstalling XCode, it got past the choose the installation disk step, but on the choose the Items to install step, the essentials file it lighted out, and I can't select it. After that, the installer says it cant find the needed files to install. I tryed deleting the Developer folder from the HD, but that didnt help the installer, I logged out and back in, but that didnt help either, Right now im going to try to Reboot the computer again, and see if anything changes.

Reaction score
Hi,

Original by geoffreyiy
I tryed deleting the Developer folder from the HD, but that didnt help the installer

I do not use terminal very often but think you should try this re uninstalling.

sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all
<Xcode> is the directory where the tools should be installed. For typical installations the full path would be /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools

Reaction score
Im reinstalling Mac OSX Lion from the App store right now, and if that doesnt work ill try that uninstalling technique. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
I stilll cannot install Xcode though, so is there a way to fix that? the terminal code didnt work.

Reaction score
Bad News: Everything work fine, I installed XCode again, for some reason the XCode tools wouldn't install this time, but the iOS support did. I installed it, got past the close out of iTunes dialog, and right before it was nearly done, the computer crashed. Its back at where it was at the beginning, and I give up on it. Im taking it into the tech guys on UW-Madison Campus tomorrow, to atleast get the info on the computer, and I dont really care if i have to buy a new computer, because anyways that 4 year old computer was pretty out of date for only 4 years.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to read your last post as after reinstalling Lion things were looking ok. Let us know what the techs say.

Reaction score
They got it fixed, but the OS was so corrupted they had to wipe the Hard Drive. Nonetheless, its fixed.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to hear the news, but pleased your system is ok now and once more as it should be.

Thanks for posting back.

Ask a Question