Converting MacBook Pro into Desktop

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro retina (2012) screen broke years ago and it’s not been worth getting it fixed as I use monitors anyway, but I’m building a new desk and I want a more permanent set up.
I’ve seen where people have disassembled laptops and made a feature out of them, the components behind a perspex sheet, and wondered if that sort of thing was possible with a MacBook so I can build It into my new desk.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• D11808E9-60C6-4A5A-B4C0-0D1B38279B6B.jpeg
    D11808E9-60C6-4A5A-B4C0-0D1B38279B6B.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 117

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You could always just use closed-display mode, as you probably have been. I don't recommend physically removing all of the internal boards and attempting to install them in a "desktop case". I don't recall seeing anyone do that with any of the MacBook models, but I have seen a few Mac minis converted. That would probably be more simple, since the mini doesn't have a built-in display and can run headless.

Sorry I don't have better information for you, but let us know if you come across anything.

C

Reaction score
Sounds like a good project.
I have thought of doing something similar with my old G4 mac mini.

Ask a Question