Concern over Losing iPhoto Descriptions & Folders when Upgrading OS X

Reaction score
Hi!

For my old job I needed to use Java 6 with Google Chrome, so I couldn't quite upgrade past Mountain Lion without being forced to upgrade to Java 7.

That being said, I've kinda/sorta built an empire in my iPhoto library all this time—filled with tons of regular folders & smart folders that're dependent upon photo descriptions. If/When I upgrade to whatever the heck the latest OS X is now called & iPhoto dissolves as Photos takes over—and I desperately try to bring my empire into the new application I'm concerned over if I'll I lose anything.

Few questions:
    1. What step-by-step approach do you recommend when upgrading operating systems?
    2. Will all the photos' descriptions & regular and smart folders stay intact when moving the photos into the new application?
    3. How...do I move those photos into Photos anyway?
    4. What else should I be careful of?
Thanks so much!

Respectfully,
Al

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry we didn't get back to you sooner.

1. Make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.
2. I am not sure whether everything will transfer from iPhoto to Photos. You can still use iPhoto and your iPhoto Library if you don't launch Photos and convert your iPhoto Library to it.
3. When you launch Photos, it will convert your library automatically. Note: it will leave your iPhoto Library on your drive, but it will not work with iPhoto any longer. If you launch iPhoto, it will give you an error message that it has been converted and cannot be used. You will have a Photos Library and an iPhoto Library, close in size, in effect taking up double the hard drive space.
4. Go through all of your third-party software to ensure their versions are compatible with the new version of OS X.

You could also purchase an external hard drive and clone your exisiting OS X installation. You could then be in a dual-boot scenario, which would ensure you won't lose any of your current iPhoto Library functionality.

Get started with Photos for OS X

Hope that helps and let us know if you have additional questions/concerns.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much! This message got lost in my inbox & I haven't tried this solution yet—but I thank you very much for this input! I'll definitely try this soon. :)

Ask a Question