Compressor/Quicktime conversion problems

Reaction score
I have a series of .wmv files that I wish to convert so I can use them in iMovie. I can do it just fine in Quicktime or Compressor, except that whenever I do so, the newly created .mov or .mpeg is watermarked with "Created with Flip4Mac Trial".

I've used Spotlight to try and get rid of any traces of Flip4Mac from my computer, but the same problem occurs.

I'm running Leopard on an Intel powered MacBook.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Iain.

Reaction score
Hi Iain and welcome
I'm not quite sure how you managed to get Flip4mac unless you downloaded the demo version. If you have downloaded it there should ba an uninstaller inside the folder you downloaded, if not you could do any of a number of things:
You could pay and install the fey for flip4mac at £15
you could try ffmpeg this would allow you to convert your files but I think there is a limit to how much it will allow to convert. I have had flip installed for so long now I just don't think about it, I have found well worth the £15 for the basic app
good luck

Reaction score
I have a series of .wmv files that I wish to convert so I can use them in iMovie. I can do it just fine in Quicktime or Compressor, except that whenever I do so, the newly created .mov or .mpeg is watermarked with "Created with Flip4Mac Trial".

I've used Spotlight to try and get rid of any traces of Flip4Mac from my computer, but the same problem occurs.

Thanks,
Iain.
Keep in mind that if you delete Flip4Mac, Quicktime will have nothing to do with .wmv files. Another option would be is to use VLCPlayer. I had to delete Flip4Mac because it didn't play well with my Snapz Pro X. Are you sure that you deleted all of the files associated with Flip4Mac. It sounds like some are still lurking about. Here's a pic (See attachment) that will show you the files that "Flip" installs on your Mac. Substitute your name for mine.

Attachments

• UninstallerScreenSnapz001.jpg
    UninstallerScreenSnapz001.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
The free player of Flip4Mac has functions of the paid version in trial mode. You get 1/2 the duration, up to 30 seconds, with a watermark in trial mode. There is no other way to convert wmv files on a Mac, with the exception of another app called Visual Hub, but it is not nearly as good as F4M, and it costs $$ too.
So...you're going to have to chunk out a few dollars if you want to convert video, but it's worth it, if you do this sort of thing a lot.

Thanks,
Iain.

Ask a Question