Complete Newbie Black Macbook question and OSX

Reaction score
Hello all

Despite being in PC land for many years, after endless years being being sold the message I have just returned to mac land

(I want to do home audio recording of me and pals playing the guitar and mix up drum tracks etc - via garage band?). Anyway, my chum gave me a non-booting mac book - I *think* it is this one

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook_2.0_black.html

My son put in a new hard drive (the old one was totally shot). Now it seems to working (insofar as an OS-free machine can be)

My questions are three fold...

Which version of OSX should I Install? I have no disks or anything else (I even had to buy a funny magnetic power supply cable thing). ..and is there likely to be a problem buying a used copy of say leopard off Ebay?

Can you get "old" versions of garageband and other music production software?

Finally - Will I need to do any sort of bios/firmware update? I don't want to install too much stuff on the machine (given its age) and dont esp want to even have internet access for it (the less on the better I think)

Many thanks from Sheffield UK

Reaction score
Many thanks!!!

Do you think more RAM would make my user experience more joyous?

(and how hard is to upgrade the ram in a MAcbook?)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just make sure you know the MacBook version, there will be a serial number somewhere that you can look up … because my advice has been for the MacBook model number A1181

If the MacBook boots up then that Snow Leopard you linked will be fine but without seeing the MacBook myself I can't guarantee that it's all going to work out, but going off what you've written then it's worth a solid go in my opinion.

Reaction score
OK here is my current problematic dilema

I have teh macbook 2006. The HD was dead so its got new one, and I have purchased a copy of OSX snow lep from the apple store.

When I try booting from the OSX it fails - I have tried holding down a suggested variety of keys while boot up takes place, but it nevergets to the point of selecting where to boot from (ie the DVD)

The only suggestion that I have found on the www is to do a internet install - command and R key while physically connected to my router with a cable.

Is this the only way forward?

Cheers

R

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The HD was dead so its got new one, and I have purchased a copy of OSX snow lep from the apple store.

We need to check how you formatted the drive. Pop the disc in & go to Utilities ~> Disc Utility & check the format of the drive please. We can't progress until we work out that you've installed & formatted the drive correctly as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Ask a Question