Comma Key

Reaction score
When working in txt files with my mac, my comma is ’ and I what I want is ' How do I change this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-If it's a desktop, which keyboard?
-Which version of OS X?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that helps. ;)

Mac OS X 10.9.2 is Mavericks.

When I first read your initial post, I took it as your comma key , was typing an apostrophe ' . I just re-read it and I see that it is a matter of the actual kind of apostrophe, correct? If so, I would venture to guess that it is font specific. Different fonts show slightly different variations of the characters. It may also be what language you have your Mac set to use - U.S. English, British English, etc.

How did you type the two variations here?

When in your txt files, try selecting the apostrophe and trying different fonts for it alone.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
what type of apostrophe do you see if you press Shift Option ] ?

FWIW, you can manually convert curly apostrophe's to straight ones from within your Word Processor, using the Search and Replace function.

Reaction score
Spawn, I get this Æ when I press Shift Option.

Cory, my apologies, yes it's the apostrophe key. I figured it's font specific but have no clue how to change it. To elaborate some, I'm converting from a pc to a mac and noticed this problem while editing a text file (that won't work if I type this apostrophe). I had to copy and paste to get the correct apostrophe on here, and the text file.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Shift + Option + ]

I get the curly apostrophe when I use the above key combo … ’ I thought you might get the straight one!

Reaction score
HI Spawn, this is getting more bizarre as I get deeper into this. Yes I get the curly apostrophe with Shift Option ] and yes I get the straight apostrophe when I press the apostrophe key on this forum but......I just noticed that when in a txt file when I press the apostrophe key I get the straight apostrophe but it the immediately converts to the curly apostrophe on it's own! Would you know how I can fix this?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
How bizarre !

What keyboard layout & which word processor?

Check System Preferences ~> Language & Text ~> Text tab ~> Use symbol & text substitution to see if there is a tick next to an entry to replace ' with ’

Reaction score
Got it!! System Preferences> Language & Region> Keyboard Preferences> Text> and under For Single Quotes there are options for which apostrophe to use. Thank you for all your help!! Much appreciated!!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Don't know that I did much but so glad you got it sorted in the end :) Looks like Apple made some subtle changes to that section as I don't see this in Mac OS X 10.7.5 but it's probably still there I'd just have to dig a little deeper

Reaction score
It was in the Apps in older version now there a system wide setting. I use this with my initials to my full name.

Ask a Question