Strange keylines & Double-commands in Drop-down menu

Reaction score
This is on a Mac G5 Dual 2.7 with OS 10.4.8:
My problem started when I was in Quark and was going to shut a window which I usually do by hitting Command + “W.” But I think I accidentally hit the number 2 key instead of “W.” From that point on, I now get a variable black keyline where ever I click, whether it’s on a desktop icon or a file name or a window or a browser.

I guess there's the possibility that I clicked on the background before hitting Command + 2. When I tried it again to see if I could undo it, it just changes the view of the window.

The other strange thing that is now occurring is that the Apple dropdown menu suddenly has 2 listings each for RESTART, SHUTDOWN and LOGOUT. AND each has 2 slightly different key command combos.

Anyone here ever had this happen?

Reaction score
Hello Electrolounger and Welcome!!!

For your first question, I would go into System Preferences and check out Universal Access and see if everything is in order. Click on the Mouse and Trackpad tab and see if your setting appear like this:

picture1ix3.png

As for your second question, Yes, I have had that happen to me. A simple restart fixed it for me. But if that doesn't work, go to your applications folder --> Utilities --> Disk Utility --> Make sure the First Aid tab is selected --> Select your Macintosh HD in the left hand side of the program. Click Repair disk permissions, and after that's done, restart your computer. Repairing permissions can also help correct other small OS problems here and there has they arise. Let us know if this works for you!!

Searay

Reaction score
Hi Searay, I tried the things you suggested, but I'm still having the same problems. My Universal Access dialog box matched what you showed. Then I repaired the disk permissions and restarted, but still I have keylines everywhere I click and double-listings in the drop-down Apple menu. Thanks for the suggestions anyway, Searay.

Since this has started, I think I've noticed some slowing down of things. I'm beginning to wonder if I've picked up a rare Mac virus.

Reaction score
Here are some pics of what I'm seeing on my desktop. There are pics of the variable keyline or black rectangle. (But this one does nto follow my mouse pointer around as some have reported with OS 10.4.8)
47b6ce06b3127cce8e7182d1661600000015109IbNGrVs0w

47b6ce06b3127cce8e7182dce72b00000016109IbNGrVs0w

47b6ce06b3127cce8e7182dd661a00000016109IbNGrVs0w

This last pic shows the Apple drop-down menu and the double-listed commands.
47b6ce06b3127cce8e7182dae72d00000015109IbNGrVs0w

Reaction score
OK, I just figured it out: I had accidentally hit the key command for turning on the Voiceover (which is Command + F5). For some reason, when this function is on it creates the variable black rectangle on things you click on as well as the double-listed commands under the Apple drop-down menu.

Whew! Glad that's all it was.

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks, that was interesting. I must have had a different problem than you.

Anyway, glad to hear it is all sorted out now! Let us know if you need further help with anything!

Searay

Ask a Question