Comcast and Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Hi,

So glad I found this forum! I just bought my first Mac (iMac with dual core) and can't wait to get internet set up. However, I've heard people have had nightmares with Comcast techs and Macs. I just moved into the house so there is nothing pre-existing and I'm getting cable internet installed next week.

At the Apple store, I was told all I would need is the Airport Extreme. Is this correct? Any other tips for helping my tech through the whole process?

One other thing. My goal is ultimately to have everything working wireless. My laptop from work is a PC, but I was assuming I can hook up wireless with that once the Airport Extreme is connected. The salesperson at Apple suggested that I ask the technician to install the Airport Extreme using my PC instead of the iMac. He said he thought that would be easier on the tech. Seems strange, but what do you guys think?

*edit* Any suggestions on a cable modem that works well with the Airport Extreme?

Thanks for any help, so far I'm loving being a new Mac convert!

Jed

Reaction score
Hey there Kid74 and Welcome!!

Congrats on the purchase!! Glad to hear you like your Mac!!

I have comcast as well. I use a Linksys router and it works great with my MacBook Pro and my family's windows desktop and other laptops/desktops. I have never had to deal with Comcast tech people (thank god). I have a friend who has an Airport extreme on a comcast connection. He has no problems with it. It works great. You should be able to use your PC on the Airport extreme as well.

As far as the techi goes....He/She should be able to use your iMac to program the cable modem/extreme just fine. Honestly it should be plug and play.

Searay

Ric, do you have anything to add?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I have an AirPort Extreme and Comcast. Plug-n-Play it is. It should just come up right outta the box.

My network consists of AirPort and Ethernet connections on two floors of my house...5 Macs total. All work beautifully.

If not, let us know and we can walk you thru it.

C

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Jed and welcome,

Sounds like Searay and Cory have got you covered, they are both with Comcast so you can't be in better hands.

When the Install Engineer does the install, insist on having a WPA Wireless network, there's know point using WEP as it can be cracked in no time, and is not secure.

If he doesn't set it up this way then let us know and we'll talk you through what you need to change...

Not sure what modem Cory and Searay have...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Oh man, I have an old old modem. We got comcast way back when it was @home. Then it went to AT&T, then comcast. All I know is that it is a RCA cable modem.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I have a Motorola SB5100. I do know that Comcast uses many brands/models of modem if you rent one from them. Many get a Motorola SB5120, which was originanally the rental/commercial version of my SB5100.

I personally highly recommend Motorola SurfBoard modems...I had a SB4100 before the SB5100. Never a single problem with either of them.

Reaction score
Hi Again,

Thanks for all the replies. Am glad to hear of success stories with Comcast. Ric, (or someone else who understood), could you clarify your post. I read:

"WPA Wireless network, there's know point using WPA as it can be cracked in no time, and is not secure."
So, should I tell the tech I do want a WPA wireless network, or is something else better?

My appointment is scheduled for this Friday afternoon, I'll definitely post once that's done. Thanks!

Jed

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies, it was late. I have amended the typo...

"...there's no point having a WEP Wireless network..."

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey Jed,

yeah, WEP can be hacked easily. As Ric stated, use a WPA. That is not as easy to hack. You can easily set it up on the extreme. Cory can probably can talk you through the configuration process since I don't own an Extreme.

Searay

Side Note: Comcast may charge you for them to configure a wireless connection. I installed our wireless myself and it was as easy as 1-2-3-boom on air. My point is, you may want to set it up yourself. What do you think Cory?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

It's pretty straightforward to setup...we can definitely help.

Usually, Comcast will setup to the cable modem. From there, you basically plugin the AirPort Extreme and it's pretty much ready to go. You can change the encryption to WPA from WEP and restart the AES.

Shouldn't be hard...and yes, Comcast does charge sometimes.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the head's up about the extra charge. I will ask if there is one. If so, I'll just have him set up the cable modem with the iMac and then I'll hook up the Airport Extreme myself. Thanks again for the help guys, can't wait to get this hooked up!

Jed

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Quick update, unfortunately my comcast experience was pretty bad. Waited from 1-5pm, never received a call, and then the installer showed up at 6pm. Anyhow, I was pretty excited nonetheless, but then he told me that my home has been pre-wired with RG59 cable instead of RG6, meaning that my bandwidth is not big enough, particularly for video services. He recommended I have the place re-wired. I've since learned that's not entirely true and that broadband can work with RG59, but I'm not too keen on continuing down this path.

So, long story short, I'm calling up ATT today to set up an appointment for DSL. I'm assuming the setup for the Airport Express should be just as easy and your previous recommendation for WPA over WEP still holds. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys,

Jed

Reaction score
I'm having a problem as well. I used to have Verizon DSL and switched to Comcast because of the triple play package deal. My Aiport Extreme would work just fine with the DSL but now that I am with Comcast the internet seems to "hang up" when not in use. For example, I'll go away from my Powerbook, when I come back, the internet takes about 10 seconds to load. Once it does it is fine and moves along. So as long as I keep moving on the internet it's fine, if I pause and read something for a few second, maybe 30, it hangs up and I have to wait again or reload the page. I never had this problem before with DSL. Anybody else have the same problem? Suggestions?

Ask a Question