Color Pickers (gone)

Reaction score
I downloaded Painter's Picker from VersionTracker to see if it would give me more choice with Word highlighting. Its colour wheel didn't show up in the Toolbars of Word and Apleworks as promised, but it did appear in Stickies & TextEdit. However, it made the other items (Apple colourwheel, crayons, etc.) arrive in triplicate. They still worked. A day or so later, without my having done anythng else, the non-Painter'sPicker stuff disappeared. The thought "****** this for a game of soldiers" came to mind and I deleted the program. Unfortunately, I thought that ColorPickers folders were part of Painter's Picker so I trashed them as well. The result was that in the appropriate apps, "show colours" produces a window with a blank Toolbar.
But I'd backed up the System on a partition of my new external Hard Disc with Danz Retrospect. I restored the missing files (not without difficulty as Retrospect seems to have Stupidifying subroutines for everything). After restarting MacOS nothing changed.
I asked a friend to do me some screenshots of the Colour folders & files in his System Library, Library, and User Library. The only difference was that he only had the stuff in his System Library and that mine were wrapped in folders while his were naked files. He's got Panther, I have Tiger 10.4.7 on a 450MHz PowerPC G4.
I made my Colors & ColorPickers folders look as much like his as I could (all the .clr files were there). Restarted, all to no avail.
Ric, can you make any sense out of this?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob.

I have sent you the files that 'should' be in System>>Library>>ColourPickers the files in the other folders, aren't important.

Pop these in and see how you get on...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric. But I've been in computer wasteland since yesterday when, as a Sorcerer's Apprentice, I had a "cunning plan" involving the MacOS Tiger startup disc. Calamity! The spell went wrong and I ended up in dysfunctional limbo. Then the new setup wouldn't recognise my password & I didn't know what it thought it was. Managed to use the backup I made on the external HD a month ago, but not before almost every spell to get me back to normal took me further away.
Retrospect told me it would restore the system to a day in June, but actually I'm back to yesterday.
The ColorPickers stuff I replaced with what you sent seemed identical.

Thanks again Ric - I'm more baffled now by computer behaviour, and have aquired an OCD for backing up.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

sounds more like one of Baldricks cunning plans...

There's nothing wrong with being Obsessive about backing up ;-)

Are the color Pickers now correct ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes thanks, the colour options on Stickies & TextEdit are back to normal.

I'm still puzzled about how Retrospect restored things to a pre-messup state when every time it ran a daily backup it said it hadn't and couldn't because the destination HD partition was busy. But when I restored the ColorPickers items they seemed to be broken. The magical mystery tour (with random pitfalls) that is computing.

Thanks again Ric

Bob

Ric

Reaction score
No problem, glad it's working again.

I haven't used Retrospect for while, I tend to use SuperDuper, CarbonCopyCloner and a few of my own scripts.

Retrospect wasn't great when OS X was first introduced and I stopped using it...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Our official IT department at the office (which is actually 300 miles AWAY from my office) always recommends the waving of a rubber chicken over the computer in such situations where all spells to make it happy go awry...

Ric

Reaction score
...and shouldn't you always have at least one pair of fingers crossed !

;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question