Clicking noise - heard on back of iMac 27"

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I experienced a constant clicking noise on the back right side of my 27" iMac.

I brought the iMac to the Apple store. Of course it wasn't making the noise when they fired it up. However, they determined my hard drive was crashing, so they replaced the hard drive. The moment I returned home and turned the computer on, the clicking noise started again.

I brought the computer back to the Apple store. Again, the computer wasn't make the noise when the tech powered it on. They decided to replace the fan. They also cleaned the area surrounding the fan. No noise.

I come home last night, fired up the computer, and the noise is back. It starts as soon as I turn the computer on.

This time I took a video to capture the noise.

Before I take back for a third time, video in hand, does anyone know what can be causing the noise?

It looks like I can't post a video on the forum?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Maybe a "crazy" thing to try, but plug your iMac into a different electrical outlet, and see what happens. Given that at the Apple store, it was plugged into an electrical outlet there with no noise, that could be a possibility.

Reaction score
Maybe a "crazy" thing to try, but plug your iMac into a different electrical outlet, and see what happens. Given that at the Apple store, it was plugged into an electrical outlet there with no noise, that could be a possibility.

Thanks for the reply! I just tried plugging the computer into two different electrical outlets, and unfortunately, it's still making the noise. :eek:

Reaction score
Darn! Still perplexing why no noise when you take it to the Apple store, and especially with them replacing the hard drive, the fan, and cleaning up some of the inside.

I wonder if there is some kind of minor "sudden" surge when you plug it into any of your outlets. It just seems so, so strange that it happens in your place, but not at the Apple store.

Do you happen to have a surge protector? That would still be a wise investment anyway, as it will protect your electrical devices. If you know of a friend that has one, maybe you could test it out at your place.

Reaction score
Darn! Still perplexing why no noise when you take it to the Apple store, and especially with them replacing the hard drive, the fan, and cleaning up some of the inside.

I wonder if there is some kind of minor "sudden" surge when you plug it into any of your outlets. It just seems so, so strange that it happens in your place, but not at the Apple store.

Do you happen to have a surge protector? That would still be a wise investment anyway, as it will protect your electrical devices. If you know of a friend that has one, maybe you could test it out at your place.

I know, it's so strange! The computer is on a surge protector.

The only I can think of is maybe the techs are not testing the computer with it assembled and closed. I imagine the airflow is different when it's opened up and tested? Crazy to think they wouldn't test it closed, but you never know!

I made another appointment for Saturday and will bring my video evidence! :)

Reaction score
I know, it's so strange! The computer is on a surge protector.

The only I can think of is maybe the techs are not testing the computer with it assembled and closed. I imagine the airflow is different when it's opened up and tested? Crazy to think they wouldn't test it closed, but you never know!

I made another appointment for Saturday and will bring my video evidence! :)

Man, you have done everything right! And yeah, why would they first disassemble it before plugging it in? When you go back, plug it in right away yourself, with a tech person standing by, so that the noise can be reproduced (and of course try and be where it is quiet!).

Good luck!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model iMac?
-Which fan did they replace?

That location, lower right side in the front, is where the optical drive fan is. It does sound like either a fan bearing going, or a cable possibly making contact with the fan blades. If the sound is coming from that area, definitely show them the video, as that should direct them to concentrate in and around the optical drive fan.

If the fan is functioning normally, other than the noise, it will pass their diagnostic testing. I do know that some repair areas can be quite loud, and it may be difficult to hear that issue, especially if it is intermittent.

Let us know how it goes,

C

Reaction score
As usual, Cory provides useful information! I would add, though, that when you bring it to the Apple store and start it up unassembled, make sure it is in a very quiet area, so that they can hear the noise. The video is helpful, but having them actually hear it would be better.

Reaction score
This exact problem is happening to me as well, the clicking sound is super annoying, they have already replaced my fan and it hasn’t helped, has anyone else with this issue sorted it out? Because if not I’m thinking about trying to sell the computer and get a different one. Thanks guys, glad I finally found someone else with this issue.

Reaction score
Hello, I have having the exact same problem with my imac. Bought it to the store, the tech did the hardware tests, opened the mac but they did not find anything. Went to collect my mac after 2 days.
Am relieved to be able to work again, I have no other work post, my mac is everything I have but that pop pop sound is really bugging me.

Reaction score
Anybody find an answer to this?

I think the failure to diagnose as mentioned above has got something to do with the service people opening it up before diagnosing. And trying to give advice to one of them is like suggesting the cause of an illness to a doctor, they don't want to hear it.

Speaking of hearing it, they have finally admitted they can hear it but insist that it's normal for an aging SSD/HDD hybrid. I call BS on that one because I kinda backed them into a corner for failing to find it in the first place and they're now saying the reason the didn't find it was because it's normal: the perfect face-saving excuse :D genius! Now if they'd only put that much effort into their actual job and not the protection of their job....

The problem is my insurance company won't cover what these guys are now saying is normal, but as anyone with the sound in the above clip will attest; that noise is not normal. I have a service guy from Apple themselves willing to listen to a recording I'm going to make when I get my computer back from service so we'll see what he says, he seems like a good guy so we'll see. Fingers crossed, and I'll fill the thread in as to what comes of this, I hate when people ask questions but don't report back answers.

Reaction score
Ok so just a little update:

I got my computer back and the sound was still there. By "aging SSD/HDD" (see above post) they might have meant cluttered or fragmented -I'm not sure of the terminology-, someone I spoke to did say that I could try formatting the disk. For me that was the nuclear option because I'm mid dissertation atm and don't need any file mishaps. But I went for it. I was devastated that upon full reformatting I could still hear the noise as I reinstalled my OS :( I let it finish, turned it off, and went to bed. Upon waking up this morning and booting up this morning the noise is gone!!!

Now fingers crossed because it might return, but for now, it's gone!

How? My thoughts are two: first the reason why it continued yesterday post format was that the reboot section (750mb or so) spanned an area of the hybrid that was triggering this noise. Second the reason why it triggers in the first place is perhaps because as the SSD/HHD fills its ability to marry the two becomes inefficient. If I remember correctly it is continually monitoring file usage and reallocating and relocating filespace and files to increase efficiency. Could it be possible that a program might need files in different locations? Could using a sync folder -which checks all files in the folder continually- (I use google drive) make this R&R process cumbersome?

I don't know how that translates into sound but perhaps what should just be a blip becomes a purr as in its chasing its own tail.

To my mind the hybrid still needs replacing because there isn't enough chatter about this online and there are zero credible explanations (mine included) so this is not the norm, my hybrid is still malfunctioning, just not when its using 28gb as is the case now. I could do a little experiment by filling it back up to the 550+ with a 150 partition and test whether it returns but for now I'm happy to have it back and I've that dissertation to write.

Take it ez, and I'll repost if/when it returns.

P.s. apologies if I went on a little but this is my first ever forum post and I don't know the rules and norms.

Reaction score
Glad you got the issue resolved. I have heard about some issues with the HDD/SDD hybrid "setup" before, and I have avoided purchasing any Mac with such a setup. (it's the same with hybrid cars. I want the original, genuine thing!).

Also, I always do a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of a new Mac OS (after some initial bugs are ironed out, along with insuring that all my third party apps are compatible with the new OS). And having backups done with SuperDuper! makes such a process much smoother than doing it via the Recovery HD partition. I also will, sometimes, do a "within the same Mac OS" clean, fresh installation of the current version of the Mac OS. That strategy (along with being dedicated to doing daily disk cleanup, and weekly disk cleanup/repairs/maintenance, and backups) has proven to be very successful for me, as I rarely, if ever, have issues any Mac I have owned.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the noise is back, I've no idea why and I'll have to go back to hoping Apple do the right thing and replace faulty parts because their authorised service provider (mcare Finland) cannot find what's wrong.

I'll post again if it's sorted,

All the best.

P.s. Great advice honestone, I won't be as meticulous re daily and weekly cleanups as I think that's overkill for my situation but I'll certainly pay more attention. Cheers

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the problem came back. Hopefully Apple can do right by you.

99,9% of my daily disk cleanup consists of having deleted EMail in Outlook 2016 permanently removed. Since I check my EMail often, it is second nature to me.

Reaction score
Same problem and noise here. Did you find a solution?

Hey,

Yes they did, after all the hassle it was in fact the fan. I took it to a different shop and they found it super quick. And apologies for needing to be asked to give a follow-up; mad busy at the moment.

Take it easy, and I wish you speedy success.

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I experienced a constant clicking noise on the back right side of my 27" iMac.

I brought the iMac to the Apple store. Of course it wasn't making the noise when they fired it up. However, they determined my hard drive was crashing, so they replaced the hard drive. The moment I returned home and turned the computer on, the clicking noise started again.

I brought the computer back to the Apple store. Again, the computer wasn't make the noise when the tech powered it on. They decided to replace the fan. They also cleaned the area surrounding the fan. No noise.

I come home last night, fired up the computer, and the noise is back. It starts as soon as I turn the computer on.

This time I took a video to capture the noise.

Before I take back for a third time, video in hand, does anyone know what can be causing the noise?

It looks like I can't post a video on the forum?

Many thanks!

Thanks for posting the video and sound sample. I have the same problem with my late 2013 27" iMac. I was upgrading to a SSD anyway, so I was hopeful the sound would go away. It did not--so apparently there was not a problem with a failing hard drive. The noise is intermittent, not present all the time. I have ordered a new fan and will see if that will solve this admittedly minor annoyance. I can't think of any other moving parts inside the machine that could be causing this "puttering" noise--can't think of any other way to describe it.

Reaction score
I get this clicking sound when the temperature in the room goes above about 73 degrees Fahrenheit. It happened again last night while I had the computer on, but was away from it for a few minutes. When I came back, I had trouble shutting down, as the apple menu went screwy. What appeared was a small rectangle with part of the words from the menu. I could not chose the shutdown option. I had to hold down the power button and then pulled the plug. The last time this happened was before the Fall - so it seems like overheating has something - although not necessarily everything - to do with it.

Ask a Question