Mac Air sporadic clicking sound

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My 2011 Mac Book Air started to make clicking sounds yesterday. I have had those before and they would go away again but I was wondering if someone had any ideas as to what's wrong. The clicking happens every 5 seconds and sounds like a bug inside my computer. It comes from the left lower corner of my screen. When I turn the computer of (sleep and shut down), the noise vanishes but once I turn it on again, it's back to clicking. I am worried something may be wrong with my battery, anyone have any good advice/has gone through something similar? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

On first thought, it sounds to me like the fan has some foreign material stuck in it or the bearings are starting to go. It shouldn't have anything to do with the battery, and since that model as flash storage, it isn't the "hard drive."

You could always take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Center and have them clean out the fan and fully test the MBA.

C

Reaction score
Apple Stores seem to be getting so busy nowadays that its impossible to get an appointment, Ive been trying for weeks. An Apple authorized service place woudl therefore probably be easier.

Ask a Question