Cinema display stopped working MacOS 10.14.4 upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

hoping someone might be able to give some advice or point me in the right direction to try to sort this out.

I have a Cinema Display 20in (Aluminium) connected to a 2018 Mac mini, using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

The display was working fine until I upgraded from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 yesterday.

Now on starting the computer up, I get a snow storm after the computer boots from apple progress logo to login screen. If I unplug and plug the HDMI adapter the display returns to normal.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Ollie

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few troubleshooting questions for you:
-What brand/model is the DVI to HDMI adapter?
-Have you tried and SMC and NVRAM reset?

I have seen this before, and it can be a few things: loose connection, failing adapter, resets above need done, etc.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Cory.

I've reset SMC & NVRAM but it has not resolved the problem. Infact I now get a pink line down left side of screen on boot up before it goes to snow storm. Again unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI adapter after boot up resolves the issue completely. There are not any loose connections.

Adapter is only a few months old and has not had rough treatment at all. Bought off amazon - it's a Startech.com 8in HDMI to DIV-D video adapter. Not a brand I recognised but looked better quality than the other cheaper things on amazon and was the "amazon's choice".

I'm thinking it seems a bit strange for it be the adapter failing, if just unplugging and plugging it back in once computer is up resolves the issue completely?

Ollie

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

It actually could be the adapter or HDMI cable. Usually, StarTech products are fairly good, as we use hundreds of them at my work. They do randomly fail, obviously when mishandled, but sometime out of the blue with no signs of wear.

Maybe applying the macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update over the top of your installation might help. As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup before updating the OS.

C

Reaction score
Unfortunately applying the combo update has not helped either.

I may try a complete reinstall before buying a new adapter. I hear others have had problems as well with the 10.14.4 update

Thanks for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Normally, applying the combo updater is mostly the same as a full reinstall for most issues. However, it might correct the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
I can confirm that for me, it was the 10.14.4 update that was the problem. I performed a complete clean install with 10.14.3 and it is now working again.

Interestingly when I looked at the automatic 10.14.4 update description again, it says it is meant to fix some external displays having problems connecting to Mac mini 2018, not break them.

This is the first time in over 15 years of using macs that an update has actually “broken” things.

Reaction score
Bit irritating as it means I can’t update my Mac now unless I want to plug/unplug monitor everytime

Reaction score
Quick update. Still having this issue despite trying complete reinstall with 10.15.3 with NVRAM & SMC resets as well. Still reluctant to down grade back to 10.14.3.

Apple again suggested their own adapter. So, bit the bullet and went to apple store and bought an Apple DVI to HDMI adapter - unfortunately, but predicatably, this made no difference at all.

So I now need to muster the strength to get back in touch with Apple again at some point...

I'm thinking the answer would be to swap the graphics driver for the 10.14.3 version. A look on google gives lots of sites about making hackintosh boot discs.

Anyone know any good links to help undertand if this is possible or not?

Thanks,
Ollie

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry you are still having the issue.

I don't recommend performing hacks of that nature, as they can actually make macOS unstable. In fact, some driver/kext replacements can prevent the Mac from starting up at all.

I would work with Apple Support again, as they would probably have the best insight at this point. It really sounds like some kind of hardware incomaptibility. Not sure why, as using only Apple hardware and software has historically maintained compatibility.

C

Reaction score
Thought I ought to update this thread. I haven't found a solution to the original problem i.e. HDMI >> DVI converter, however, I saw a youtube video where someone was using an old Cinema display with a relatively modern macbook and they were using a Thunderbolt/USB-C to DVI adapter. I have been unplugging and replugging my diplay in for the past few years with no solution and so thought I would give this different approach a go.

Miraculously, it works perfectly! I cannot believe I didn't investigate this further previously but very happy to finally not have to keep unplugging/replugging my monitor everytime I restart the computer.

The adapter I bought was a BENFEI USB-C to DVI adapter. I have placed a link to the Amazon page where I got the adapter if anyone else is still struggling with this and wants to consider trying it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Congrats! I bet that is a huge relief, especially after dealing with it for years.

I appreciate you updating the post and sharing the solution for the benefit of others.

Be well and enjoy!

C

Reaction score
Just curious… Are you back to running in macOS 10.14.3? I can’t run Mojave on my present Mac anymore, but as far as I know, the latest version is 10.14.6. I’m a bit obsessed with running the latest iteration of macOS, so I thought updating to the latest version might help, in general. I’m on Sonoma right now, on a test volume, and in spite of the numerous quirks (yeah, bugs), it’s very promising.

Ask a Question