Apple Cinema Display back-light issue

Reaction score
About a year ago I was playing a graphically-intensive video game on my 4,1 Mac Pro, and suddenly the 24" Cinema Display went black. The fans in the machine were spinning really fast during that moment. I shut off the computer, but the display didn't turn back on. Without the accompaniment of the monitor I navigated blindly to the Desktop and reduced the brightness to the lowest setting using the shortcut key. Upon restart, the monitor turned back on. After that time, the brightness had to be below 10/15 increments. Every few months, I had to reduce the brightness some more for the monitor to work, and right now it only works on the lowest brightness setting.

I thought the issue was with the GPU at first, but upon buying a new GPU and installing all the drivers, I can confirm that is not the source of the issue. Nor is the main power cable, or the installed firmware. I'm fairly sure the issue is with the monitor itself, or the power unit inside the Mac Pro processor. Going online, I leaned some more about how to troubleshoot this common issue. I took off the glass from the monitor, removed the LCD, and carefully checked every component inside, adjusting cables, cleaning out dust, looking to see if the capacitors are bad. Everything looks OK. I have not checked the current with a digital multimeter, that is my next step.

But I'm pretty much at a loss. The monitor won't work, only on the lowest brightness setting. If I raise it any further, the screen flickers for a short moment and then goes black. Shining a torch close to the LCD reveals a faint picture, which confirms that the LCD is fine, and so the issue is probably with the back-light. If the problem is with the monitor, and not the power unit inside the processor, then the source of the issue is probably contained within the Logic board, the Power supply board, or with the cables. Do you have anything you can suggest to me to help me in this issue? It's been going on for a long time now, and I'm sick of it. I have very little money to spend, so I'm not able to ditch the monitor and buy anew. Please help.

What could be the issue? I think the clue is in knowing that the issue began when I pushed the hardware to it's limit by playing a graphically-intensive video game. It's been going down ever since that moment. So, I think I blew a fuse or something. But the capacitors look fine to my eyes.

http://imgur.com/a/cUmLX

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That display isn;t a user-serviceable unit, and you can actually get shocked by opening the case and touching certain components, especially the power supply.

That said, even though you don't see any problems with the capacitors/boards, it sounds like an inverter/logic board issue. It would probably be better to replace it rather than repair it, as it could require multiple parts.

C

Ask a Question