Chrome Media Player Virus Help

Reaction score
I stupidly downloaded a media player because I received a notification on the lines of "You are currently browsing the web with Chrome and your video player may be outdated." I downloaded this so called media player which clearly was not a good idea. I am now getting ads everywhere. Googles homepage, even Wikipedia. It is not as simple as an extension as I only have adblock installed. In addition, recently when I go to Wikipedia it will show a red screen saying that malware has been detected and I should not proceed. I deleted the media player but of course it would not be that simple. So far the red screen only shows on Wikipedia. However that is nothing to do with Wikipedia's security. I have not encountered any other user with the same issue as me and various forums have not helped me either. Furthermore the Breaking Bad screenshot that I have added is because the right hand side of the screen tends to flash, almost as if it is refreshing every second (which it is not).

Lastly, I am sometimes redirected to another website which does not actually load. I have posted a screenshot of the URL.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 8.46.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 8.46.50 PM.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.02.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.02.23 PM.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.02.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.02.39 PM.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.05.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 9.05.40 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi does this also happen when using Safari? Have you used Software Update to make sure you have all the latest security updates?

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I got a message that looked like the usual Mac messages about software updates. This one said to update the media player. I wasn't thinking and clicked it - really bad move!
Now, every time I change pages on a site, an unwanted site appears. All different ones. Time after time. When I close that tab, I go back to where I was until I need to change pages again.
Another problem is the pop-ups that rise up and block the screen of the page I'm on.
Another kind of invasive ad happens on Youtube. The ad pops up shouting a message over whatever I'm playing. Every two or three minutes, it repeats.
I have uninstalled the original player downloaded, but Pandora's box has been opened and I don't know how to clear the computer of the problems.

Ask a Question