Chrome shuts down every time

Reaction score
Hey guys, yesterday something weird happened on my mac. First the finder window just multiplied and I couldn't click anything, then I restarted and now Chrome shuts down every time after about 5 seconds. I've deleted and reinstalled and I've tried moving certain folders in and out of Chrome to look for corrupted files. However, still doesn't work, and (important) I don't want to just delete my entire browser history and cache because I've built it over years and love seeing things in violet that I've already clicked, which websites I've visited, passwords etc.

Please help, I literally can't use Chrome now and can't do my work.
Thank you

Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

4. Are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical. If you (hopefully) are, what software do you use?

5. Are you using the latest version of Google Chrome? I use it just about 95% of the time (use Opera the remaining 5%), and I rarely, if ever, have issues. I always have the latest version.

6. Can you use another browser without issues? If you can, I would recommend Opera. It is faster than Firefox, has been around for quite some time, has a built-in VPN feature, and it looks a lot like Google Chrome. You can even import Chrome's bookmarks into it.

Ask a Question