Chrome goes nuts

Reaction score
I have been uneventfully using Chrome 65 (up to date for OS 10.9.5) for some time. All was hunky dory until Chrome suddenly went nuts. I now have to log into every account and every website each and every @$!^&& time I restart the application. I have gotten used to being recognized when visiting a site and having gmail accounts logged in when they load as part of my startup tabs. Simply reinstalling the Chrome browser itself did nothing. What is the least PIA to fix this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Hmmm...not sure what went wrong there.

-Have you tried a simple restart of your Mac?
-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Did you recently change your password for your Mac's login account?
-Are you having any other issue...perhaps some related to Keychain?
-Are you still signed into Chrome with the same account(s) you have been using?
-Have you tried signing out, then back in?

If you know all of your usernames/passwords that are stored in Chrome, you could always do a full reset of Chrome:
How to Reset Google Chrome to Its Default State

Of course, that is a full reset, and you will lose all passwords, bookmarks, cookies, Extensions, etc. If you have been logged in and syncing, they should return when you log back into Chrome. In my experience, this may be the only way to restore proper working order to Chrome.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Hmmm...not sure what went wrong there.

-Have you tried a simple restart of your Mac?
-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Did you recently change your password for your Mac's login account?
-Are you having any other issue...perhaps some related to Keychain?
-Are you still signed into Chrome with the same account(s) you have been using?
-Have you tried signing out, then back in?

If you know all of your usernames/passwords that are stored in Chrome, you could always do a full reset of Chrome:
How to Reset Google Chrome to Its Default State

Of course, that is a full reset, and you will lose all passwords, bookmarks, cookies, Extensions, etc. If you have been logged in and syncing, they should return when you log back into Chrome. In my experience, this may be the only way to restore proper working order to Chrome.

C

If I boot into a recent clone of my boot drive Chrome appears restored to its former state. Unfortunately, it's not such a recent clone that I wouldn't lose a lot of other data by just reverting the whole works. So it looks like resetting Chrome may be the answer. It can't be more of a PIA than constantly having to log in. As for whether I'm synching or not, that's a total mystery. I find no place in my Google account (which I'm told is going away April 2) where I can turn this on or off, despite some rather un-helpful help articles that are probably for later versions of Chrome.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Google+ (https://plus.google.com) is the only part of Google that is being shut down on April2, 2019 for consumers. It is the social networking component of Google's suite of applications. All other funtions - Google Docs, Drive, YouTube, syncing, etc. will all be left as is.

Good that you have a semi-recent backup. If you sing in to Google Chrome - you will see something similar to his in the upper-left of a Google window, you are signed in:

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question