Changing IP address makes internet stop working

Reaction score
I have tried changing my IP address both manually by finding IP addresses from proxy lists online and using VPN programs, paid and free. It says it works and I am in another country, but when I try to go on a website it either keeps loading forever or it gives me an error, no matter what website I go on, even if it's a generic one like Google or Facebook. I'm thinking I must have something installed or in my settings that's blocking the change of IP address but I cannot for the life of me figure out what because I'm not very savvy. Any ideas? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Is there a reason you need to manually change your Mac's IP address? Most folks simply let DHCP acquire an IP address on whatever network their Mac joins.
-What are your current Network settings?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory.

- It's a Macbook Pro late 2011
- OS X El Capitan
- There isn't a particular reason I need to manually change my IP address, I just need to change my location to access location-restricted content, but nothing works. I have downloaded both free (Hola) and paid (SaferVPN) software and nothing works, so I resorted to manual. This tells me it's definitely something wrong at my end.
- I don't know where to find my Network settings...

Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

Network settings are here:  > System Preferences... > Network

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that. If it is for work or school, their IT department should be able to give you the proper settings. If it is simply to view location-specific content such as video, I cannot help, as that could violate some form of rules/licensing/laws, which is why the content is location-specific.

C

Reaction score
Hi, Cory. I do a lot of research for work and it's useful to see news and location-specific pages for different countries, but nothing that would be restricted. Like for example when I search for info on French films it shows me news from my Spanish point of view and I'd like to see it as if I was in French to get more relevant an in-depth information. Unfortunately I work from home so the IT department can't help me. Thanks anyway. If anyone else knows why my computer might be blocking the change of IP please any suggestions are welcome!

I don't know what part of my network settings I'm supposed to copy here, the directions you gave me just take me to the main part where it says what wifi I'm connected to.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I think that we need to start at the beginning. Changing one's IP address usually means changing other things as well, like your gateway and possibly your network mask. Can you reset your system so that you had the same network address you had before? Once you've done that, and confirmed that you can get out to common sites like Google or Facebook, type in what you see for the following entries from "System Preferences/Network/Advanced" (the "Advanced ..." button is near the lower right corner of the window):

TCP/IP tab:

- Configure IPv4:
- IPv4 Address:
- Subnet Mask:
- Router:

DNS tab:

- DNS Servers:

Ask a Question