Change size of ONE icon?

Reaction score
I'd like to change the size of ONE (and only one) desktop icon. Is there a way to do that?

Reaction score
create a custom icon that’s the size you want and replace the default icon with your custom icon

Reaction score
Not sure that works. I can change the appearance of that icon, but I can't change the size. When I copy that icon to a jpg, use Preview to make it smaller, and then paste it back, the icon is the same size as it was originally. The OS will allow you to change the appearance of icons, but it decides what size it wants to use.

Reaction score
Copy the icon. Paste it into your image editing app, make it smaller. Then use cmd-shift-4 to initiate a screen shot and select an area the normal size of an icon (including the icon graphic) click the resulting screen shot and copy it. Save it so you can have it later. Now paste it onto whatever you want the smaller icon on. If you have Pixelmator or an equivalent editing app you can make the icon background transparent and paste in your modified (resized) icon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I think that's what I did, except I used Preview as my image editor to make it smaller. You're saying that doesn't *really* make it smaller? I have to display it smaller, and then do a screen shot of that smaller icon to make a REAL small image? Weird. But yes, Preview puts white space around the image, and I need that background transparent instead. I'll fix with Gimp.

Addendum. Turns out, for folder icons, you can download ones with different colors and sizes and transparent backgrounds as png files. Nice. But when you download a 32x32 one, and then a 64x64 one, each one of them makes exactly the same standard size icon on the desktop when you upload them through "Get Info".

Last edited:
Reaction score
I apologize if I wasn't real clear in my explanation. I'll work on my communication skills. Creating custom icons is one of the nice things about Mac. Here are a couple of mine

SkyCons.png

Ask a Question