CD stuck in Mac; no icon on desktop

Reaction score
Part-way through burning a CD (backing up files) we had a power outage. When the power returned the CD was in a locked folder on the desktop and wouldn't eject (function in File menu greyed out). I unlocked the folder, but eject was still greyed out. I dumped the folder in the trash, but CD still wouldn't come out. Now the folder has gone altogether. Help!

Reaction score
Hold down the Eject Key on the Keyboard for 6 seconds.
If this doesn't work...

Restart the Mac and it should check the drive and eject it on startup.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The eject disc button in iTunes should do the trick, even if the disc is not visible to the Finder. Or Open Disk Utility and choose the disc you wish to eject in the left-hand pane, then click on the Eject button. Or Shut down the computer and start up whilst holding down the mouse button. This may take some time, but keep your finger on the mouse button right up until the disc comes out or the log-in screen has appeared.

Reaction score
How long have I been using Macs without knowing there's an eject button? I pressed it and, hey presto, out popped the disk. Thanks guys.

Now, about my desktop freezing several times a day...I have to hold down the power button to switch off, then start up again. Have I got a virus or something?

Reaction score
The current few Trojans don't want you to know they have infected you, so they don't cause "desktop freezing several times a day".

Check you Utilities > Console straight after it happens and it may report whats causing the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman. Perhaps, like me, the Mac's just fed up because it's STILL SNOWING...in April!!! I'll try the Utilities>Console thing.

Ask a Question