Catalina self reload

Reaction score
I have a 2017 27 inch iMac running Catalina with automatic software updates. Every 2 weeks or so I press RESTART to avoid any latent problems but otherwise it closes itself down every night. Yesterday I started it up, entered my password and was met with a WELCOME TO CATALINA screen and an offer to give me a tour of my new OS. It had all the appearance of having reloaded Catalina and everything had changed. All the icons I had added to the default Dock were gone and it had moved across the screen and the sidebar had changed. I tried to load a Word document and it downloaded WORD 2016 rather than the 2019 version I had been using and paid for and insisted that all my files must now be in the Cloud, my Document files had disappeared. Catalina showed 10.15.5. Time Machine and my external USB drives were however intact.
I left the computer intending to appeal to you for help but when I started it up this morning everything appears to have reverted to its previous (and correct) state. I do not know if Huawei is flexing its muscles or if COVED-19 has migrated again but I would be grateful for any suggestions you can make as I am naturally concerned it may revert once more with a less satisfactory outcome.

Reaction score
I was having issues with my recording software so I restarted my macbook for the first time since updating to catalina and it just started reinstalling the OS and got stuck in a loop, took 3 tries before it finally finished.

Ask a Question