Catalina Login glitches

Reaction score
Mac mini 2012 running OS Catalina, 10.15.7. Has 16 GB RAM, and two 500 GB SSD drives installed. Connected to the LAN/internet by Ethernet and by WiFi. Principally used as a file server on my LAN and connected to external drives with media and backups.

It has three user accounts, all with Admin permissions. It has several problems some of which may be unrelated:

First: Whenever I log in to the first user account, the Finder freezes and I get the spinning wheel of death. This happens in Safe Mode as well as a regular boot.

The Activity Monitor shows: "Report Crash" using 91% of the CPU, followed by "deleted" at 32.5%, Activity Monitor itself at 10%, "secintd," "trustd", "ContainerRepairAgent," using less than 10%, and everything else less than 1%. (Yes, I know that adds up to more than 100%)

I have run Disk Utility in recovery mode to repair the disks. "Repair Permissions" was grayed out.

I have re-installed OS X, also from the recovery mode.

Under the "fast user switch" menu, all three user accounts are present, but there is also an account listed as "Unix to Un...y Protocol" (ellipses in original)

When I open the System Preferences, the top the pane is empty: no user ID, no Apple ID or iCloud, no Family Sharing. Just...blank. The first row of preferences are General, Desktop & Screensaver, etc.

I can open and operate some, not all, apps from the Launchpad. But Finder will not open a window.

Second: When I log in to the second user account, I get a window that looks like the OS installation--a wide dark gray border around the rectangular center window. It asks me to sign in with my Apple ID "to set up iCloud." It already has my ID, and prompts for the password.

If I enter my password, it tells me "an unknown error occurred." However, if I click "set up later," and "skip," it transitions to a "Finishing Setting Up Your Mac" screens and then it logs me in and I get a series of pop ups on my desktop: (1) accountsd wants to use the "login" keychain. Please enter keychain password. (2) com.apple.iCloudHelper wants to use the "login" keychain. Please enter keychain password. (3) And below that, another pop up telling me to sign into iCloud.

Yet, when I open System Preferences, I'm already signed in with my Apple ID.

After going through and logging in and entering the password, if the user logs out and then logs back in again it goes through it all over. If the computer is shut down and then restarted, it goes back to prompting for all the passwords and whatnot.

All of this is slow slow slow. If I try to sign out the Apple ID, it just spins and spins...

Unlike the first user account, the System Preferences pane is complete. When logged in as this user, the "Unix to Un...y Protocol" does not appear under the Fast User Switch menu.

Third: Finally, when I log in to the third user account, like the second, it prompts the user to set up the Apple ID, if the password is entered it says an "unknown error occurred," and if you skip the setup you get a "Finishing Setting Up Your Mac" screen.

But then when logged in, it does not present a bunch of pop-ups. The System Preferences pane is complete. The Apple ID is fully logged in. No "Unix to Un...y Protocol" appears in the Fast User Switch menu. Everything appears fine.

But the process is repeated every time the user tries to login.

Summary: So, it seems to me something is screwy with saving the several different users login credentials, and their links to the Apple ID.

Short of wiping the startup disk and starting fresh, any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

At first glance, it sounds like the SSD may be failing, which could cause the symptoms you are describing. Hopefully you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data, which it sounds like you do.

I haven't ever seen a user called "Unix to Un...y Protocol". Not sure why that would show in only one of the accounts under Fast User Switching.

Have you tried creating a fourth user account? Or, starting up from an external drive?

It may be best with all of those issues to simply perform a clean install, as I haven't run across that combination of issues.

C

Ask a Question