Manual Upgrade from El Cap to Catalina--> need Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Chrome bmarks from El Cap

Reaction score
15" MBP mid-2014, 10.15.7 Catalina

I just upgraded from El Capitan. Instead of just upgrading, I had to do full external backup and then delete everything and install Catalina from scratch. Then, as my (El Cap) Time Machine is not compatible, I have had to rebuild my Mac experience (since 2003), also from scratch.

I have my Time Machine backup (El Cap) opened up and accessible through File Manager, so I just need to know the locations of all of my files and copy/import into my MBP. However:

- for Chrome bookmarks, I have copied "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak" from the Time Machine (El Cap) Library/application support/Google/Chrome/Profile 2/, and pasted them into the (Catalina)- Library/application support/Google/Chrome/Profile 2/ folder. But they are not showing up... although I could not shut Chrome down and then re-open it... as I'm writing this email (in Profile 1). I did shut down all windows of Profile 2 and then open it again, but the bookmarks are not there.

Likewise, for Contacts and Calendar there are a ton of files and folders, and unlike Chrome (with a "bookmarks" file), no file looks like the one file that I can copy into my MBP Library. I tried copying all the contents of Time Machine- User/Library/Calendars/ into the MBP- User/Library/Calendars/ folder... but that didn't work.

For Mail: I have used Mail since 2003, and as such there are emails since then from abandoned previous email accounts in Mailboxes that I would like to be able to restore. Should I

- import them all from the Time Machine- Library/Mail/V3/Mailboxes/ folder into Mail, or
- in File Manager should I copy the Time Machine- Library/Mail/V3/Mailboxes/ folder into the MBP- Library/Mail/V7/ folder (a /Mailboxes folder does not exist there yet)?

I would also like to transfer over all the rules and signatures I had created.

Thanks for any help

Ask a Question