Manual sleep OK, but no auto sleep

Reaction score
HI- I have the latest mac mini & it will not go to sleep on it's own. I have tried setting the timer for different settings (default, 1 -20 minutes, etc.) but it will not go to sleep. I can put it to sleep manually & it will stay asleep until I move the mouse or hit a keyboard key. The monitor will go to sleep & wake up no problem. I tried doing the permission validation & repair. Didn't work. I have run the Mac OSX disc & gone thru the OS & disk repair procedure. After repair, I do get a few notes saying files have been modified & not repaired: suid: Sys/Lib/remote mngt/ARD agent.app/contents/macos/ard agent; but nothing else. It is weird that I can make it go to sleep & it will stay, but it doesn't have enough authority to do it on it's own. This is my first mac, so I am a novice a fixing things. I have a bluetooth mac keyboard & logitech mouse. I also have W7 64bit bootcamped. HP printer, but it usually off. Energy saver: only put hard drive to sleep when possible & allow power button to put computer to sleep are checked.
Thanx for any help, Bob V

Reaction score
Did you look at the system prefs settings? Look at energy saver to check that "never" is not chosen in either "computer sleep" or "display sleep"

Reaction score
Yeah I checked all that, thank you. I installed "pleasesleep" ap & now it is forced to sleep. Can't understand why Mac can't figure out why this can't be fixed. I did all the permission stuff & even did a repair with my rescue disc, but that didn't fix it.

Homey

Reaction score
Its always difficult to fix problems if 3rd party software has been added to the mix.

Open Your HardDrive Icon
Goto Library, NOT System > Library. NOT Home > Library.
Open Preferences Folder
Open SystemConfiguration Folder
Move com.apple.PowerManagement.plist to the Trash
Restart

Change your Energy Saver setting to how you want.

Test.

Reaction score
Hi KM,
I thought you nailed it. Very similar to Windows: delete the corrupted program & let it be freshly reinstalled by the OS on restart.

But alas, it did not work. The monitor goes to sleep, but Mini won't. I did disable the "pleasesleep" ap. I set the timer to 1 minute & waited over 5 minutes. I also unchecked all 4 boxes in energy saver.

Thanx for trying. pleasesleep does work, alltho there can be an extended wake time.

Australopithecus (AKA Homer)

(famous caveman)

Reaction score
LOL.

Hmm I wonder if something is keeping it awake, rather than it failing to sleep.

In Utilities there is a Console App. Just check the Console Messages, Don't worry about all the other Logs.

This will show you if there is an App thats silently calling for help.
Close all the Apps you have running and see if anything is repeatedly logging something to the Console Messages.

Reaction score
Hi KM
I tried to send you some of the comments from Console, but this system doesn't seem to like the note. Maybe it was too long.

Anyway, thanx for the effort.

Homey

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
HI- I have the latest mac mini & it will not go to sleep on it's own. I have tried setting the timer for different settings (default, 1 -20 minutes, etc.) but it will not go to sleep. I can put it to sleep manually & it will stay asleep until I move the mouse or hit a keyboard key. The monitor will go to sleep & wake up no problem. I tried doing the permission validation & repair. Didn't work. I have run the Mac OSX disc & gone thru the OS & disk repair procedure. After repair, I do get a few notes saying files have been modified & not repaired: suid: Sys/Lib/remote mngt/ARD agent.app/contents/macos/ard agent; but nothing else. It is weird that I can make it go to sleep & it will stay, but it doesn't have enough authority to do it on it's own. This is my first mac, so I am a novice a fixing things. I have a bluetooth mac keyboard & logitech mouse. I also have W7 64bit bootcamped. HP printer, but it usually off. Energy saver: only put hard drive to sleep when possible & allow power button to put computer to sleep are checked.
Thanx for any help, Bob V

I found several Mac Mini users with similar stories to your own. The following was how one user solved their "Mac Mini unable to autosleep" issue:

Ok..after more debugging, I determined that the Mac Mini was receiving a wake event 2 seconds after a sleep event. It turned out to be coming from the new Apple Magic Mouse that I installed a few weeks back. Suspect something in the special driver that was a required download that's sending periodic events that wake up the Mac Mini. After turning off the magic mouse and letting the Mac Mini go to sleep..all is well.
This is on the off chance that you use the Apple Magic Mouse ...

From Apple:

Bluetooth devices can wake your computer. If you don’t want to wake your computer by using a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse, open Bluetooth preferences, click Advanced, and deselect “Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer.”

Reaction score
Hi Marty,
I don't have the magic mouse. I have a Logitech. I do have the mini BT Apple keyboard. And I use it to get out of "sleep" as opposed to using the power button on the Mini. So I do not want to disable the BT wake feature. And, the mini just won't go to sleep on it's own. It's not like something is waking it up after it had a chance to sleep. The sleep function used to work fine. So something I installed is the issue or perhaps there is a corrupted file that can only be fixed by a clean reinstall. I've searched for fixes & see that I am not alone with this issue. And there doesn't seem to be a cure all out there. The "Pleasesleep" app works, but I don't like work around s/w. And there is a wake up delay for some applications with Pleasesleep.

Best - Bob

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Must be really P-ing you off ... have you come across the following fix in your travels Homer?

Mac Mini Won't Sleep

I realise you have done extensive troubleshooting on this issue but I have to ask ...

In case the sleep/schedule preferences file is corrupt.

Delete the following file:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Reaction score
Hi Marty,
It's not upsetting me. More a curiosity. And the fact that Apple touts their operating system so much that I expect it to be bullet proof! But I find it has it's limits not unlike MS.

Marty, I do not have that file. I do have:
com.apple.powermanagement.plist
...which I have already trashed and then restarted my computer.

Using Finder, I searched my drive & could not find it. ????

Best - Bob

Reaction score
( I got a error on my email, sometimes it happens to the big US ISPs)
Kai Ora Bob,

A bit shaky, another large earthquake yesterday.
NZ is the place for cycling!

com.apple.xgridagentd
could be this.

AdobeResourceSynchronizer
6/13/11 8:04:08 PM ReportCrash[189] Saved crash report for AdobeResourceSynchronizer

com.adobe.Reader
bloody Adobe, if you are just using this to read PDFs change back to Preview, its faster, and heaps better. If you don't know how to do this, Just do a Get Info on a PDF. Open With Preview and "Change All...". I've gone to uninstalling as much Adobe **** as possible, lot less problems. Pixelmator is now my editor of choice.

LinkScannerAgent
AVG LinkScanner

my quick guess would be these, they are probably monitoring the scanner hardware and keeping the Mac awake to see if anyone wants to scan.

Often if we know why these things are happening we can stop worrying that something is "Wrong"

the PleaseSleep is just acting as a "User" and telling the Mac to go to sleep, this has a higher authority than the Mac choosing to Sleep itself.

As a final check you could use Activity Monitor, sort the columns by % CPU and see what process is jumping to the top of the list periodically.
If it's either of these then you have your culprit.

If it is, you know why and have a work around.

cheers
Kevin

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
Thanx for the tips. I will investigate further when I have time & send you a response off this thread.

No reports of earthquakes here. We had a mild one in Michigan a few years back, but I was driving at the time & missed it. :(

You also Be Well/Wealthy (Kai Ora),

Bob

Ask a Question