Caps lock shortcut

Reaction score
I'm still a lousy typist who constantly hits the Caps lock key inadvertently. So annoying. So I have disabled the key. BUT, there are occasions when I want to type something in all caps and some shortcut would be most useful. How the hell does one do that? I have gone to system preferences and key board and shortcuts and apps (Pages) and set up something like control A to take the place of the caps lock key and while it shows it on the preferences page it just doesn't work in a document. What am doing wrong?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Depending on what Mac and keyboard you are using, you could map the Caps Lock key to another one of the modifier keys in System Preferences.
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 13.34.07.png

I am not sure how to map it to another key combination, but the above works on my Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Depending on what Mac and keyboard you are using, you could map the Caps Lock key to another one of the modifier keys in System Preferences.
View attachment 4032
I am not sure how to map it to another key combination, but the above works on my Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad.

C
Yep, thanks, Cory, that does work. But the problem is it's far too easy to hit the modifier key by mistake. So you want to use two keys and that I just can't get to work.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

The Apple Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad fn key is more out of the way than on the MacBook series and Apple Magic Keyboard. On them, it is located in the lower left next to the Control key:
MQ052.jpeg

iu.jpeg

Maybe someone here has experience with remapping key combinations for the Caps Lock key and will chime in.

C

Reaction score
I deactivated the Caps Lock key altogether and for times when I need to type all caps, I use PopClip (available in the Apps Store) to turn selected text to ALL CAPS. That’s just for starters. PopClip can change type to lower case, initial cap, title caps; and it can automatically insert quotes, brackets, and braces around any type you select. There are more advanced extensions which can open Text Edit and insert your selected type… and a whole lot more.

If you need to remap your keyboard and create a keyboard layout that becomes one of the system keyboard layouts that you select in System Preferences, the best app I found is Ukelele.

I type on the Dvorak keyboard, but there are so many keys that I need to customize myself, so I created my own Dvorak keyboard layout.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 5.19.54 PM.png

Ask a Question