Can't see my wife's computer in my Network

Reaction score
My wife just got a new M1 iMac just like mine. We are both in the same network, and on her Finder, we can click on Network and see my computer. But on my computer, clicking on Network doesn't show anything. I suspect we need to do something on her computer to make it visible. On mine, Finder/Settings/Side Bar has everything checked.

Why can't I see hers?

Reaction score
My wife just got a new M1 iMac just like mine. We are both in the same network, and on her Finder, we can click on Network and see my computer. But on my computer, clicking on Network doesn't show anything. I suspect we need to do something on her computer to make it visible. On mine, Finder/Settings/Side Bar has everything checked.

Why can't I see hers?
On the new iMac go to System Settings (in Ventura; I can’t boot into Monterey right now, but System Preferences should be just about the same).

Select General -> Sharing. Turn on Screen Sharing and allow access for Only these users - Administrators. Funny but on my Mac mini it gives me an error, but screen sharing works anyway. Turn on File Sharing, Remote Login, Remote Management, and Content Caching. These settings were mainly inherited from the settings while running Monterey.

This should enable you to open the screen sharing window on your Mac to, in effect, work directly on the remote Mac. If you only need to open folders on the remote Mac, you may only need to turn on File Sharing. To learn more about each setting, just click on the circled “i” to the right of the switch icon.

Reaction score
Found the setting, thanks. Ventura is taking me some time to find everything.
The quickest way to find your way around the new interface is to enter the setting you are looking for in the search field, top of the sidebar. You might find it fun and useful to spend some time navigating through System Settings, when you’re not too busy.

I have been on Ventura since early July and am still having to use the search field a lot to get me to the right place.

When you first launch System Settings, it will default to Appearance. Enter sharing in the search field and it will list all the sharing topics below it. In your case File Sharing or Screen Sharing would be the most relevant. Enjoy!

Ask a Question