Can't save

Reaction score
I have a new mini (M1 2020). Love the M1 chip!
System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1
OS Loader Version: 7459.141.1

However when creating a new Pages document I can only APPARENTLY save it once using:
command S and the document name. After that I cannot save any changes. However the document is not listed as saved in the Finder. A search in Finder brings the document up as "Unsaved Pages Document 4" (I have 4 pending). 1 of the pending documents is blank, the other has one character in both the text and the document name so I could try to save it and delete the document. Neither the blank nor the one with 1 character can be deleted either. Not sure what to do to correct the problem, and can't think what I did that might have caused this. It was working well up to now.

Reaction score
I have a new mini (M1 2020). Love the M1 chip!
System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1
OS Loader Version: 7459.141.1

However when creating a new Pages document I can only APPARENTLY save it once using:
command S and the document name. After that I cannot save any changes. However the document is not listed as saved in the Finder. A search in Finder brings the document up as "Unsaved Pages Document 4" (I have 4 pending). 1 of the pending documents is blank, the other has one character in both the text and the document name so I could try to save it and delete the document. Neither the blank nor the one with 1 character can be deleted either. Not sure what to do to correct the problem, and can't think what I did that might have caused this. It was working well up to now.
When you said that you could not save any changes, a regular ⌘-S should save the changes you made. If you wish to save the document in another name, press ⌘-⌥-⇧-S and the save dialog window should open with the original file name in the field. Change the name to what you want and click on Save. If you didn’t change the name, it will ask if you wish to replace the old file. Your choice.

How did you find the other files that you described? Looks to me like those are temporary (cache) files. Pages will default to saving its files to

~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~Pages/Documents

You can go directly there from the sidebar, iCloud Drive -> Pages. If you wish to save the file to another location, use ⌘-⌥-⇧-S again, and from the toolbar location, you can navigate to the location you want.

Can you give that a try and let us know what happens? By the way the same is true for other Apple apps (Preview, Numbers, TextEdit, etc.).

Reaction score
Didn't work, but thanks.

I found the other files by doing a search from the Finder menu.

I tried the keystroke combination you gave and no change. Not there in the search either.

I don't have the cloud though, soif they only work for that I am out of luck.

Ask a Question