Looking to replace my 2012 iMac but can't afford new-what's the best thing to do?

Miv

Reaction score
Looking to replace my 2012 iMac but can't afford new-what's the best thing to do? I want to buy a refurbished machine, but not sure whether to stay with a desktop or go with a laptop? My old machine is running on Catalina and can't be upgraded, but I had an extra 500GB SSD upgrade added a year ago. Also, Word for iMac isn't working properly now because I can't improve my iMac.
I use the computer to manage my B&B business, emails, browsing the internet for shopping etc, Facebook, photos, but not a lot else. I don't do games or social media, so any suggestions as to the age and capabilities of a replacement would be helpful. Could the 500GBSSD be added to the 'new' machine?

Reaction score
Looking to replace my 2012 iMac but can't afford new-what's the best thing to do? I want to buy a refurbished machine, but not sure whether to stay with a desktop or go with a laptop? My old machine is running on Catalina and can't be upgraded, but I had an extra 500GB SSD upgrade added a year ago. Also, Word for iMac isn't working properly now because I can't improve my iMac.
I use the computer to manage my B&B business, emails, browsing the internet for shopping etc, Facebook, photos, but not a lot else. I don't do games or social media, so any suggestions as to the age and capabilities of a replacement would be helpful. Could the 500GBSSD be added to the 'new' machine?
I usually point inquiries like yours to OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com/). They have a wide choice of refurbished Macs on sale, as well as hardware upgrades and accessories. They have good support, and lots of videos for DYI upgraders. I suggest selecting a unit no more than five years old, most of which will be able to run macOS Ventura.

You decision between a MacBook and a Mac desktop will depend on your personal needs—e.g. portability vs. expansion needs.

Reaction score
I usually point inquiries like yours to OWC (https://eshop.macsales.com/). They have a wide choice of refurbished Macs on sale, as well as hardware upgrades and accessories. They have good support, and lots of videos for DYI upgraders. I suggest selecting a unit no more than five years old, most of which will be able to run macOS Ventura.

You decision between a MacBook and a Mac desktop will depend on your personal needs—e.g. portability vs. expansion needs.
Thank you for your input! I have looked at the refurb Macs on the website, but don't understand the implications of the various capacities etc. I will liaise with them to learn more about what I need. Also y son is visiting from Australia later this month so maybe he can help me decide!

Reaction score
Thank you for your input! I have looked at the refurb Macs on the website, but don't understand the implications of the various capacities etc. I will liaise with them to learn more about what I need. Also y son is visiting from Australia later this month so maybe he can help me decide!

Ask a Question