SOLVED Looking for KVM Switch Suggestions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2008 (early Model MacPro) that does a lot of coughing.
I have an older PC ( Windows 7 used pretty much for Games and Movie watching), and
I purchased a new MacMini M1 that I have not yet set up (but will become my work horse, giving the Pro some time to relax).

I have two Acer Monitors (One is HDMI) dedicated to the 2008 Pro and
a Samsung (HDMI) dedicated to the PC with a Belkin Switch letting me switch back and forth with my (ergonomic) Keyboard and Mouse.

Due to space issues, I just don't have the space to put a Keyboard and Mouse for each machine.
Now that I have the MacMini, I need to figure out how to connect ALL 3 such that all three can share the one Keyboard and one Mouse.
Yet the two Mac's will (hopefully) share the two monitors that I am currently using with the 2008 Pro.

(Whew, that seems like a lot and is kinda even confusing to me. Yipes)

Until the 2008 Pro passes on (hopefully a very long time from now) I am not going to worry about Speakers, Headphones, and other such additions. The Pro has all that for now and has not left this mortal world yet.

So, anyone have any good suggestions for a Switch that can accommodate 3 computers (and 2 monitors for the Mac's, one of them being a new MacMini) ?

Thank you,
Hugs
Nanette

Reaction score
I have a similar situation, I have a mac mini and Linux box which are both running headless in another room. I have 2 external monitors attached to my main imac and I can vnc to either or both of the other machines and operate all from one place if I need to.

Reaction score
I have a similar situation, I have a mac mini and Linux box which are both running headless in another room. I have 2 external monitors attached to my main imac and I can vnc to either or both of the other machines and operate all from one place if I need to.
So your sharing them remotely over a Virtual Network rather than using a switch like IT guy at a job I had did when he needed to help me with stuff on my work computer (The IT guy was in some other location all together)?

Reaction score
So your sharing them remotely over a Virtual Network rather than using a switch like IT guy at a job I had did when he needed to help me with stuff on my work computer (The IT guy was in some other location all together)?
1646066783281.png

Reaction score
Awesome.
I will try to get this set up this weekend and give it a try.
Thank you

Reaction score
Press Command + K, and enter ( or Go > Connect to Server.), to bring up the Connect to server dialog, enter vnc:// (ip address of other machine) click connect

1.png

enter log in details of target machine.
2.png

3.png

Reaction score
Press Command + K, and enter ( or Go > Connect to Server.), to bring up the Connect to server dialog, enter vnc:// (ip address of other machine) click connect

View attachment 4245

enter log in details of target machine.
View attachment 4246

View attachment 4247
Works beautifully.
Thank you. I still am trying to figure out how to get the Windows 7 machine to let me see it but it is not imperative. I have given it it's own spot and display and I have an old switch that lets me use the mouse and keyboard with it. So thank you so very much for your help with this.

Ask a Question