Can't open Mail

Reaction score
I received my new MacBook Pro today and began the process of migration from my existing MacBook Pro. Once I'd found a way around transferring the data without any USB-C compatible cables (WiFi), I finally managed to get the transfer done. I then attempted to open Mail only to receive the following message:

Mail Library cannot be read because its format requires a newer version of macOS.

My previous Mac and this new one are both running Catalina, which is the most up to date version, so how do I solve this problem?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It sounds like the version of Catalina (and thus Mail) are slightly different. Maybe the old MBP had a slightly newer version on it - i.e. old MBP had say 10.13.6 and the new MBP has 10.13.5?

Make sure they are the exact same versions of macOS High Sierra and Mail.

C

Reaction score
You were right Cory about the two Macs running different versions of Catalina. While I was checking this out, I automatically received a message to upgrade the new Mac to 10.13.5 making it the same as the old one. This seemed to unlock the Mail app so all I need to do now is find out what my password was when I first registered with my present internet supplier. I take it that I can't find this from my old Mac as I've looked but the password is not displayed. I've asked the ISP to remind me of my password.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Great...glad that was the issue.

Let us know how it goes with the password issue.

C

Ask a Question