Can't get Big Sur yet

Reaction score
FYI:

My late 2013 iMac won’t run Big Sur (My wife’s 2107 model has upgraded). The App store is telling me to update GarageBand but it won’t let me because I don’t have Big Sur. I guess I will have to live with the App Store telling me it has an update for me.

I’ve been saving up for a new iMac for over a year, but am hesitant about buying an Intel iMac if I want it to last a long time. I can’t go ARM though until one program I need has been converted to 64-bits. The developer is saying early 2021. Right now I boot to an external Mojave SSD to run that program. The 2nd issue I will have with a new computer will be whether to buy enough memory. Apple’s default SSDs are much smaller than the Fusion drives and I will either need to upgrade, or to off-load data to my external SSD.

In the past, I have always migrated from the same operating system. Sometimes that means updating IOS on a new device before restoring my old IOS device which has a newer version than the store’s phone or pad. But when I get my next iMac it will have Big Sur and I will need to migrate from a Catalina machine. I don’t *think* that will be a problem, but I don’t know.

Reaction score
In the past, I have always migrated from the same operating system. Sometimes that means updating IOS on a new device before restoring my old IOS device which has a newer version than the store’s phone or pad. But when I get my next iMac it will have Big Sur and I will need to migrate from a Catalina machine. I don’t *think* that will be a problem, but I don’t know.

One would think the version of Migration Assistant in Big Sur would work as expected, ie, you should be able to migrate files, folders, apps, settings, etc. from a Catalina-based system. Of course you'll need to insure that all the third party applications you use are compatible with Big Sur.

Ask a Question