Can't access iPhoto source for ScreenSaver

Reaction score
Have always used my iPhoto library for both desktop pics and screensaver. Sudedenly, while the desktop option is still there (with access to my full library), I can't access any screen savers except the basic Apple ones. Have tried, repeatedly. restarting and choosing System Preferences. All is well until I click screen saver, and I lose my iPhoto library option. If I click on the display options for photos, the screen freezes, every time. I would truly appreciate any help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of iPhoto/Photos?

We'll see if we can troubleshoot with the additional information.

C

Reaction score
Thanks! It is an iMac, late 2013, OS 10.9.5. The iPhoto is version 9.5.1(902.17).

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Sounds like some form of minor corruption.

-How many photos in your iPhoto Library?
-Are there a lot of videos in it as well?

You could try deleting the com.apple.screensaver.plist file:
-In Finder, hold the Option key and click Go > Library in the menu bar
-Open the Preferences folder
-Delete the file com.apple.screensaver.plist
-Restart

Then try to load the iPhoto Library in the Screen Saver preference pane.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much.
I have 4,281 items in my iPhoto library but only a few videos. I have this all backed up (I think/hope!)
I tried your suggestion...no luck yet. Must I delete the file.com.apple.screensaver.plist? That scares me a bit. I moved it to the desktop, but didn't delete it. The problem with the screensaver is annoying, but not enough that I can take a chance on losing something else!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

You don't have to - moving it will have the same effect, but you can safely delete it, as it is only a preference file. Plist stands for Property List...it is a file that stores user settings. It will automatically be re-created when you change a settings in a screen saver.

C

Ask a Question