External HD can't be mounted nor unmounted

Reaction score
Hi all,
Connected to my Mac Mini (Mid 2011) running OSX 10.13.6 (the last one it accepts) I have a Toshiba 3TB USB external HD. I mainly use it for backups. Suddenly, something on it got screwed up. When I connect it to the USB port, its icon appears on the desktop but when opening the icon there is only an empty window. It says at the bottom, it has 1,67 TB available but the contents (files) don't show up.
Disk Utility just keeps milling around not recognising any device connected. When I unconnect the Toshiba, other devices are recognised. So I can't use Disk Utility to repair the Toshiba either, not even reformat it if I decided to trash its content.
Any suggestions on how to repair this HD?

Reaction score
Hello Cory, thanks for trying to help!
I did everything you suggested but the problem remains the same. The Toshiba icon appears on the desktop and clicking on it opens an empty window (no files) but says 1,67TB still available, which is more than half the Toshiba's available space.
Disk Utility keeps spinning and does not recognise the Toshiba as a mounted disk. Therefore no repair possible either.
The disk keeps spinning when connected and doesn't make any grinding sound. There must be something with a screwed up directory.
I am stuck. Any further suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, it could be a corrupted directory. Alsoft DiskWarrior is the best utility to repair directory issues. It could also be a few bad sectors in the directory, which would mean the drive is failing. You could also try another USB cable if you have one.

Do you have another computer you could connect it to?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory,
I tried an available laptop and a different USB cable. The icon appeared again on the desktop. Clicking on it this time showed file names but the files couldn't be opened or copied elsewhere.
I only have a very old version of Disk Warrior and I tried it on the Toshiba. After a very lengthy search it finally recognised the Toshiba and gave the option of repairing it. After another lengthy period it came up with: the directory can not be repaired, error 2153 and 4903, whatever that means.
Seems like the Toshiba is ready for the trash can.
Andy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I believe the 2153 is related to Spotlight indexing the drive. Not sure what 4903 error is. You could try DiskWarrior again, but add the Toshiba to be ignored in the Spotlight > Privacy preference pane.

Yes, it sounds like it could be a hardware failure.

C

Ask a Question